Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hboyer90

How do I delete a tag in FactoryTalk View Studio?

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm using FactoryTalk View Studio 7.0 Machine Edition. I am working on a project for a PanelView Plus. I'm modifiying an existing program and when I downloaded it to the PanelView Plus I was getting errors saying that "N107:0-N107:25 were missing or too small". Well, I don't have an N107 file in my PLC project, and I don't want to shut the machine down to put it into maintenance mode just to add the integer. I have no use for the tag anymore in the Panelview, I just want to delete it from my program, but I can't seem to find a way to do so. If I go to the tag editor screen it allows me to change the address, and change the description but not delete or change the tag name. I just want it gone all together. Could someone please tell me step by step how to delete this stupid tag? I'll just add a photo of where I'm trying to delete the tag from, just in case it helps at all. Thanks.

I just figured it out, it's got it's own custom toolbar that pops up, I was looking in the wrong spot, I'm stupid. Feel free to delete this thread, I'm not sure how to.

Let's not delete this one, believe me you're not the first person to struggle there, and you won't be the last. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have half your tag options in the tag window, and the other half in the File menu. This post will help the next poor sucker ;) Just to close it off, there are a couple of ways - you can usually just select the tag and press delete on your keyboard. Or else, select the tag, and then in the menu bar across the top of the window, go to Edit>Delete. There are a few other useful items in this menu too :) Edited by ASForrest

Yeah, after deleting it I realize that I had to re-add it, whoops. Can you explain, to a novice, what the status screen tag is?

All I can tell objectively from that screen is that it's an analog tag which reads from or writes to N107:25 in whichever PLC is defined by the "dcm2" shortcut. To take an educated guess at what it's there for, in your global connections you have two tags that you can assign that work as follows (copy and paste my post from another forum): The "Replace Display Number" is the ID number of the current "Replace" type display that the HMI is showing. The HMI writes this value to the PLC. If the the operator switches from screen 1 to screen 2, the HMI will change the tag in the PLC from 1 to 2. The Remote Display Number does the opposite - if your PLC writes a "5" into this tag, the HMI will show the display with ID 5. If you are doing this, be careful - while the PLC is commanding the HMI to go to a certain screen, the operator cannot choose a different screen. Once the screen has changed, you need to write the Remote Display Number tag back to zero in the PLC, so that it releases control of the display back to the operator My educated guess would be that the status_screen tag is defined in your global connections as the "Replace Display Number". My less educated, speculative guess is that you had to re-add it because you realised it was used somewhere and the program wasn't happy without it ;) Edited by ASForrest