Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tiburonlax

Configuring Cell Modem to Connect to PLC

4 posts in this topic

I'm new to configuring cell modems and networking. Any help is appreciated. I've got a pretty basic setup with one PLC & one HMI connected to a Sierra GX440 Verizon/LTE in the field. The Sierra has been set up with a static IP from verizon which I can access via public internet using a web browser. My PLC and HMI are on a 10.10.10.XXX network with a 255.255.255.0 Subnet. All I want to do is be able to navigate to my PLC for remote programming. Does the PLC gateway IP address need to be the same IP of the Sierra Ethernet Port? Any help, guidance or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jason

Well .... you didn't say what kind of PLC & HMI but in general they must all be in the same 10.10.10.xxx internal subnet. The cell modem should have a setting for that.

Siemens S7-1500. All are on the 10.10.10.xxx subnet. I do not have a gateway IP assigned into the PLC, and I've been trying to read up and it looks like I will need to put the IP of the Sierra GX440 local ethernet port as the PLC gateway address......

Yes, I expect you will have to do that with both the PLC and the HMI.