Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GT6Steve

Scheduling a new module or not?

5 posts in this topic

Greetings, I'm having a lot of trouble getting a Prosoft Modbus module to work in my CLX5000 platform. It worked when testing in a single chassis with a 1756-L61 processor and DF-1 comms to my laptop. Now that it's installed in a networked processor and Controlnet rack I can't get it to accept the Ladder Logic. But that's not the question... When attempting to get aid from Prosoft I got a load of fast facts insisting I had to schedule this module with RSNetworx. I don't have RS Networx and I believe my scheduling is correct as the rack was preexisting and the CNRB/E module in place. I can see the icon for the Prosoft module in my IO config tree with no faults indicated and I can inhibit the module getting the two slash yellow circle on the icon. I can also fault the module by checking "Use Scheduled Connection over ControlNet" or changing RPI outside of the default range. To my mind that suggests my Controlnet scheduling is fine and there's another setup problem. Does that sound reasonable or do I need to get RSNetworx and start fiddling? Thanx, Steve Edited by GT6Steve

Sooo... Don't know what Prosoft module, and I'm not sure if you are putting it in a remote rack or a local rack. Generally, if you are adding a module to a remote rack over ControlNet, you MUST schedule it or no data will be transferred.

Assuming local rack means the same one as the Processor is in, this would be in a remote rack. That is, a separate rack connected by a ControlNet cable. The module is a MV1756E-MCM. I'll do some studying on ControlNet and scheduling, Thanx Steve

Steve.. The MVI56E-MCM can go in either the local or remote rack. Obviously, the ladder will slightly change depending on the rack it's in. For example.. if it's in the local rack slot1, it's addressed as "Local:1". If it's in a remote rack slot1, it's addresses as "<Remote CNB Name>:1"

It is permissible to put a new module in any chassis, local or remote, and set it up for unscheduled data transfer. If there is no warning triangle on the module when it is not set up for scheduled data-transfer, then it is communicating (producing and consuming) with the controller. If you are not seeing any data from the module, then it may be a module configuration issue. You may need to force-write the configuration tag again if you just change from scheduled, to unscheduled. Unplug the MCM and put it back in the chassis. You can do this with power applied (so long as you are not in a hazardous area). Adding a module into the unscheduled part of the NUT is do-able, but not recommended as a long-term solution. RA recommends that as soon as practical, and safe, it is moved into the ControlNet schedule.