Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Perion

Something weird with RSLogix 5 and RSView

3 posts in this topic

We're using RSView ME on a standard PC as an HMI. RSView ME starts up automatically when the HMI PC boots up (its shortcut is in the Startup folder). Now, all of a sudden, when we boot the PC and RSView ME tries to load, a windows installer dialog pops up saying it needs to install some (unspecified) new feature into RSLogix 5 Pro! We are not even running RSLogix 5 on start up - RSView ME is trying to run it for some reason. The installer is looking for the installer file "RSLogix 5 Pro.msi" (.msi=MicroSoft Installer) which is on the RSLogix install CD but which we don't have in our possession yet (the system integrator company still has it for other development projects). We can't get out of the installer application to continue loading RSView ME. The only way to exit the installer is to terminate the application (RSLogix 5 Pro.exe) in Windows Task Manager via Ctrl-Alt-Del. After terminating RSLogix 5 the RSView ME app never loads so we have no HMI. If we try to run RSView ME manually from the desktop icon or Start menu, once again the RSLogix 5 Pro installer pops up like before and we are stuck. The same thing happens if we try to run just RSLogix 5 Pro from its shortcut. Why would RSView ME try to start up RSLogix 5??? It never did that before. And why, all of a sudden would RSLogix 5 need to install some new feature??? All we did was shut the machine down and later power it back up again - which we've done many times before. Perion

Here's some more info on the problem: When an attempt is made to run RSLogix 5, the installer dialog that pops up says something close to: Then you're supposed to shutdown the Windows Installer Service (assuming it's running) from Control Panel and reboot. Then they want you to insert the install CD (which we don't have yet) and find and run instmsiw.exe. Does anyone have a clue what this is all about or why, all of a sudden, this has cropped up. This system has been installed and running OK for about three months. We have ten machines like this, none of which has done this YET, and I'd like to have some idea about what's going on with this problem. I still can't figure why RSLogix 5 is even trying to run when we start RSView ME. Maybe it has something to do with Rockwell's "Factory Talk" but I don't think it's even being used - I may be wrong. Perion

I had something similar on a machine that I had unistalled RSViewSE over two years previous, all of sudden trying to reinstall after countless reboots. Try searching at Microsoft's website, as I believe you will find some registry settings that have your PC thinking this program is partially installed. Once these settings are deleted it should go away. I can't remember the path for these settings but it's in microsoft.com somewhere