Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tidwellc

Cannot connect to Modicon Premium

3 posts in this topic

Hello all, first post here, and thanks in advance for the help. I'm a fairly green SCADA and controls designer and although I worked fairly extensively with these systems in the past, I followed a sightly different career path for the last several years and haven't had my hands on a PLC that whole time. Started a new job and am rebuilding my knowledge with it. Fortunately my company afforded me a PLC to take home and mess around with for this purpose. I feel pretty dumb as I am struggling to even connect with it, haha. Here are the stats: Backplane: TSXRKY4EX (end caps are securely in place) Power supply: TSX PSY2600 Processor: TSX P57 6634 First I attempted to connect via ethernet, using the IP address sticky-noted to the front of the processor: 10.1.1.80. No luck, "PLC address is incorrect, or PLC is busy, yadda yadda". As I understand, the default IP address can be converted from the MAC address. The last two MAC address numbers were: CF.87, which gave me the address 85.16.207.135. Same result with this. I tried pinging both address from the command console and had no luck there either. I happened to have a USB to unitelway adapter (Telemecanique brand) and attempted using that as well, Address:SYS.. Media:Unitelway. No luck, same answer. After a lot of frustration and hours spent scouring the internet for answers, I took the nuclear option and pulled the battery (while unplugged) and replaced after 30 or so seconds. I was assuming this would clear the memory and reset the IP to default (85.16.207.135), afterwhich I could reconfigure and start fresh. Unity still can't connect nor can I ping it. It should be noted that I am using Unity Pro XL Version 8.0, on a VMware image. I did attempt pinging from both the VM and the host machine, both can ping other known devices so connection by the VM through the host shouldn't be the problem. Neither the VM or the host recieved a ping reply from the PLC. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I feel I have exhausted all options and I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by pulling the battery. As far as whatever program was on it before is irrelevant, the PLC was given to me to do with whatever I wish, so memory loss wasn't a danger. I just need to connect to it. Thanks!!

If I recall correctly, the 6634 has a USB connection for programming. Did you try that? Your attempting to change the IP address of the device which is fine, but I assume you are also changing the IP parameters of your PC with Unity to be subnet compatible? If not, that could certainly be one of possibly many problems. The sure fire way that I use to get the IP off a Schneider PLC like this is to run Wireshark and reboot the PLC. The device will issue a number of gratuitous ARPs and ARP probes on boot up while it performs IP conflict detection, of which we can then pick up the IP. I would run this on the host - not sure if you are in bridge or NAT mode, so don't entirely know what will happen. I have used Unity through a VM so I know it works, for me better with the Ethernet option than any other. I find the pass-through option always to be a little less stable, such as with USB direct or USBtoSerial.

please check the dip-switches (behind power supply) on your backplain - the address must be 0!