mhowasso

SLC 5/03 Serial Port

16 posts in this topic

I have a SLC5/03 that they are using the DH485 port to go to an HMI. I try to connect to the serial port and RSLinx does not see it. Is there some things to check to find out the reason this port is not working..?? Thank you

Which port are you trying to connect to? Are you using a 1747-UIC

The 9 pin serial port. If I use the UIC I can connect to the DH-485 But curious why the serial port does not work.

Do you have a real serial port it a USB to serial adapter?

Usually the connection is very simple: you configure a DF1 RS232 Devices driver in RSLinx Classic, set it to the correct COM port number, and click Autoconfigure. If Autoconfigure doesn't work (like with many USB/RS232 converters) set the port for DF1 Full Duplex, 19200 baud, 8/N/1 framing, CRC error checking and "SLC/MicroLogix" Device Type. The cable is a "null modem" type; anyone who works on A-B controllers should have a 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 cable in their toolkit. But there are a large handful of reasons why this connection might not work. Examples include: The port might be set for DH485, or DF1 Half Duplex master, or DF1 Half Duplex Slave. The port might be set for ASCII mode, or even Disabled. The port might be set for Hardware Handshaking, and your cable might not have the correct pins to support that. The port might be damaged. You might have a damaged serial port on your computer. Your computer's serial port might not be configured for the COM port number you think it is; double-check in the Windows Device Manager.
1 person likes this

I have checked all the above AND the JP4 Jumper (Protect Mode) on the processor. I am using a 1747-CP3 cable. My serial port on laptop works fine (tried on other processors and works just fine). I have a AB USB to Serial adapter and RSLinx still does not see this processor. If I use a UIC adapter and plug into DH-485 port it works fine and I can go online. Edited by mhowasso

In still confused. You say the serial port on your laptop works fine but mention a USB to serial adapter. DH485 did not work with USB adapters. You would need the UIC. But should work with real serial ports.

I meant I have tried both ways..!! I have many SLC 5/02, 503, 5/04 and all work well with laptop and serial port. But this one processor I can not talk to serial port...only DH-485 Edited by mhowasso

Oh I got you. If you are sure that it is configured DH485 then it will not work with your USB to serial adapter. But I'm not sure I didn't read your first post wrong. A SLC 5/03 has two ports on it. The Channel 0 9 pin bottom port capable of DF1 or DH485 and Channel 1 RJ45 top port that is DH485. You are saying that you are trying to connect to the bottom port that had an HMI connected to it configured for DH485? Do you have an offline copy of the program?

Channel 1 is my DH-485 port connected to a 1747-AIC module connecting another rack and a PanelView. Channel 1 is configured for DH-485, Channel 0 is configured for DF1. IF I use my UIC connected to the DH-485 port on the AIC to my laptop I can go online just fine. But I can not connect my laptop serial port to the Channel 0 serial port on the 5/03 using a 1747-CP3 cable. RSLinx just can not see the processor. I have tried auto configure and manually configuring the driver, and it still won't connect.

Can you do a screen capture of your channel 0 configuration in RsLogix?

You've done everything I would have, and proven that your computer serial port, RSLinx driver, Windows setup, and cable are all OK, and that the SLC-5/03 serial port is properly configured for DF1 Full Duplex protocol. The conclusion I come to is that the SLC-5/03 Channel 0 serial port is damaged.

Hi Ken, Thanks...I kind of thought so too, but I wanted to rule out anything else first. I replaced that 5/03 with another one that I found and it worked Great...!! When I get time I think I will replace that 5/03 with a 5/05 and I think I will need to add a 1761-NET-AIC. Thanks again

I encountered an SLC-5/03 on a jobsite years ago with similar symptoms. When I finally removed it for replacement, I found the letters "CH0 NFG" written in Sharpie on the side.
1 person likes this

Funny you said that..he he I was thinking about doing the same thing, but I just thru it away so no one else would have to go thru this, but it was tempting..!! :) Also...we think this is the second one of these to go bad in the past 5 years. Oh well Edited by PortenoSuenos

I think the Channel Zero was reconfigured for use with the HMI and so cannot be used for programming now.  Connect with the UIC driver and cable and set the Channel Zero port to factory defaults.  This has fixed this for me more than once.  I'm having this issue today, but can't find the factory defaults. 

Edited by Gene Bell