Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iarglez

Migrating an SLC500 platform with DH+ to ControLogix HELP!

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, We're migrating an SLC500 platform (5/04) to a ControlLogix platform. The controller DH+ port is daisy chained to an OLD CU from ORMEC and and old Quickpanel HMI. Looking at the ladder logic of the SLC indicates that HMI interacts through the DH+ network with the ORMEC control unit as all the settings related to motion control are in the HMI and nothing in the PLC. There are only 4 message instructions in the ladder logic as shown in the SLC messages file attached. Reading several posts and the 1754-um514 manual I'm using the instruction message with the settings as shown in file CLX message and CLX message 1. I'm a little confused regarding the path in CLX, in SLC there are two write instructions and one read instructions all to the same node address and only read one to the local address 0. As I don't have the QuickPanel HMI program I can imagine that node 0 is the HMI as the SLC controller Chan1 node address is 5. And also I assume that node address of the ORMEC CU is 6 as is the one with more registers and the comments of the message instructions refer to it. On the path of the message instruction of CLX I'm using the chassis backplane and the slot of the DH+/DHRIO module to output the message. Is this correct to emulate what the SLC instruction were doing? Regards, Edited by iarglez

That MSG instruction to Node 0 on a DH+ network is strange. DH+ valid node addresses are 0 through 77 (octal) but as long as I've been using DH+ I've never seen anyone actually use Node 0. I suppose it's do-able. The MSG instruction to the 1756-DHRIO only goes as far as the DHRIO module itself. You'll see on the Communication tab that you can enter a path to the 1756-DHRIO's slot, after which the DHRIO takes over and executes the DH+ message based on the Channel and Node numbers you enter into that dialog. Think of the DHRIO module as the ControlLogix representative to the DH+ network. The message doesn't really go from the ControlLogix to the target DH+ node, but rather is handed off to the DHRIO module, who takes care of the DH+ side and returns the results to the ControlLogix CPU. Browsing the DH+ network will be the best thing for determining the DH+ addresses, and the "active node table" might help you too. Good luck !

If you upload a screenshot of the code in the SLC, that would be helpful.

Hi! As a sample in Rs Logix 5000 folder. Edited by Vitor Prado

Vitor, that's a screenshot from an example program that comes with RSLogix 5000 and is meant to show how multi-link Remote DH+ Messaging with Routing Tables is done. It is more complex than the OP's needs.

Thanks Ken, according to the "Good luck!" phrase I hope this migration can turn in a nice, soft and educating experience. Thanks for your always prompt and helpful response!

Just a few comments to close the loop. I still don't know the reason of the instruction message with the node 0 (usually the PC RSLinx node) on the SLC. After getting plugged to the DH+ network, I could see node 6 and 7 and 5 for the SLC. After a couple of hours of reading I fall of the bed and wake up of the dream of DHRIO CLX card been PnP :) Silly me! DH+ module card on the old QUICKPANEL can see all configured register on the SLC500 memory map, and also can see everything in the ORMEC CU. I won't be able to change the communication driver on the QUICKPANEL since its the same for the ORMEC CU. According to the readings, I think I can exchange information between SLC and CLX, I just have to find how to map everything right to: let the SLC talk through the DH+ network to the QP and ORMEC CU and then get the CLX message to the SLC via the same DH+. Then, when next investment wave for upgrades come, the QP and ORMEC CU will be updated.