Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Powerflex 40P Failures

4 posts in this topic

We've recently had a rash {almost a dozen} Powerflex 40P drives with Etherent Modules fail. The drive still powers up, but no power is supplied to the Etherent Comm Card. Repalcing the ribbon cable and comm card has proved unsuccessful time and again. Something in the drives control power circuit is failing. All drives are Series A manufactured in 2011 and installed in 2012. We're waiting for RA to evaluate the drives, but I wondered if anyone else has had similiar issues.
1 person likes this

Hello Wizard, yesterday I had the same kind of issue (same powerflex40p and same Ethernet Card ). What did you do to solve it? Regards. Ramiro

Did anyone ever solve the issue aboveI? I am have the same problem which is the drive Powerflex 40 no longer will supply power to the 22 comm E card. The drive will work fine if the control is hard wired. Sometimes both the 22 comm E and the drive fail but most of the time its just the drive power output to the card

Drive layout, Powerflex 40 with a 22 comm E card and Ethernet attached 2to 3  Powerflex 4 slaved to the Powerflex 40 via 485 network.

I am presently replacing the Powerflex 40 drives with the new 525 drive and have had no issues but this can be very costly when you have over 200 drives! Not to mention the install time of remapping all the Tags  related to the drives and not just at the PLC but the HMI as well.

We had three 40P's that would not power the Ecom card, I moved the Ecom card to another VFD and it died. So it seems that the Ecom card is smoking the power supple in the VFD. This was using 22D-D4PON104 vfd'S series A, do to the AB rebuild price they are now through away drives. All three drives died at the same time. 

Edited by plcxmas