Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gendy

change port setting

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I have PLC slc500 /3, connected with panelview 550 DH485 I have to replace the panel view by another available one which is different in part number my old one is 2711-B5A2 the new is 27711-B5A5 communication port for the new is 9 pin RS232 (DH485) when i read manual for panel view it mentioned that if i want just point to point (it is my case) i can change port configuration for the lower port of PLC to be DH485 and use cable 9 pin from 2 side first I don't know how to change port setting, if i change it how i connect to modify or troubleshoot the plc later? could i make a cable form the above port (RJ45) of PLC which is used for old panel and configured to DH485 to the new port 9 pin RS232? why when i order a panel view should mention the "ser" by the way it is Ser H??? When I try to buy new one , I didn’t find Panel view (obsolete ) gust find panel plus is it direct replacement for panel view or I need to rebuild the application program from beginning?

To connect the 2711-B5A5 to the SLC you would need to use the bottom port and a 2711-NC13 cable. You would need to change the channel configuration of channel 0 to DH-485 I'm not sure by your last statement whether you have already bought your Panelview or not but you would be better off to find the correct part number. This way not changes are needed and also once you change your port configuration on the bottom channel 0 port, you will not be able to communicate with a standard 1747-CP3. You will then need a 1747-UIC USB to DH-485 converter.

thanks for your reply but why i couldn't make cable from the upper port RJ45 which is configurd as DH485 to the serial port of panel view in panel view manual mention cable from 9 pin to 9 pin uses only pin# 2,3 and 5 could i make it for RJ45 to 9pin ??

I'm pretty sure the Panelview's hardware protocol is fixed, the top port of the SLC is RS485 (not to be confused with DH485) and the bottom port is RS232. You had a RS485 Panelview that went to the top port of the SLC. Now you have a RS232 Panelview which goes to the bottom port of the Panelview. Have you already purchased your Panelview?

yes I have the panel view 2711-B5A5 which have only one port RS232 (9 pin) and in manual mention RS232(DH485)

Then you will need the 2711-NC13 and to reconfigure the bottom port of the SLC.

Thanks, sorry for distruib i want to confirm that no way to connect port 1of SLC /3 to panel view with direct cable it will not work??? I have to reconfigure port 0 and use 2711-NC13 for connecting with panelview and use 1747-UIC USB to DH-485 for connecting with PC or laptop

The hardware protocol of the top port of an SLC 5/03 is RS485 compared to the bottom ports RS232. Your old Panelview was RS485 so it connected to the top port. Your new one is RS232 so it has to connect to the bottom port. I think you are confusing RS485 hardware protocol with DH485 software protocol. While both the top and bottom ports are capable of talking DH485, the physical electronics of RS232 vs RS485 are incompatible.

Many thanks for your support , If I buy a new panel view with same part number but different in Ser # what will happen Is there any problems?

As long as it were a later series I can't imagine there being any issues with it. I think it would be a better choice than trying to make the RS232 Panelview work.