Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ct8356

Possible to automatically assign numbers to entries in symbol table?

4 posts in this topic

I have a list of 100 faults for my machine. Each fault has an integer variable in the symbol table, containing an integer that matches its position in the list. Say I then want to add a fault in at position 12, I would then have to renumber all the following faults. Is there a built in way to do this automatically? Alternatively, if you have any other suggestions for achieving a similar thing, I would love hear them.

The easiest method is to use an external speadsheet program like Excel. You do not have to import or export but can simply copy and paste. First copy a few symbols from the symbol table then paste them into your spreadsheet. From there you follow the format required by the CX Programmer symbol table.
1 person likes this

One word of caution... You are allowed multiple symbols for the same address. You may want to delete the symbols that you are replacing first.

You can also use the Change All option in the Edit pull down menu. It will allow you to shift a range of consecutive addresses to another range. For instance: Say that you want to insert a bit at W5.04 and move what was at W5.04 - W5.10 to W5.05 - W5.11. You could do this with the Change All (Batch Replace in PLC Option). Go to Edit, choose Change all. Then, double click on the top line of the box that has the dashes in it. Enter W5.04 as the Start Address, W5.10 as the End Address and W5.05 as the New Start Address as shown below. Then press OK to close the top window and then Replace to execute the Batch Replace. Then just go back and add in a symbol and code for W5.04.
1 person likes this