Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
python01

Point IO input/output address assignment

5 posts in this topic

I have never worked with Point IO and wonder how the addressing for inputs and outputs are assigned? Is there a way to tell the PLC what addresses should be used for IO on the remote? I am planning to use the following: 1734-AENT 1734-OW4 1734-OW4 1734-IE4C
1 person likes this

if you are using an RSlogix 5000 controller it is pretty straight forward the comunications module is slot 0 then the next to the right would be slot 1 etc. once the module appears in your tags list you can just use a mouse to click on the proper input or output. Remember to set up your modules in your offline program exactly like the physical ones as you will get a module mismatch otherwise.

When you add your AENT to the ethernet tree, you give it a name. That name becomes the I/O name, in the same way that your local I/O is called "Local:slotnumber:O.Data[inputnumber]" (for an output card). However, it does have a slightly different structure to onboard I/O: it takes the form "Name:O.Data[slotnumber].inputnumber. Note the different order of things, and that the slot number and input number are in square brackets in one case but not the other. If you were to name the AENT "RemoteRack1", your first output card will be "RemoteRack1:O.Data[1].0" through "RemoteRack1:O.Data[1].3". I typically name my AENT's something to indicate the location. This means that someone troubleshooting the system years down the track knows where to go looking for my rack straight away, and also means no matter how many racks I have the names should be unique. I also keep them short for ease of programming :) I think from memory that if you try to address it the same order you would local rack I/O, it will still succeed and automatically alias your tags to the format shown above. And in any case, once you've added the AENT adaptor to your ethernet tree, and added all the cards to it, you can browse the controller tags and find it. Then you can drill down to your inputs to remind yourself of the structure. Just remember as HKU_MS said above, that the AENT itself is slot 0, your first card is slot 1. Hope that helps!

Try building a new PLC program, from scratch, and just adding an I/O rack with a few modules. As you add devices, checkout how Logix adds tags in the tag database for the I/O modules. Logix PLCs are a completely different animal than the I/O based SLC or PLC-5 series.