Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elbok

1771-ASB REMOTE I/O ADAPTER

4 posts in this topic

Can anybody tell me...what does the ASB stand for in the 1771-ASB remote I/O adapter?

I don't know but I thought it was Asynchronous Serial/Scanner Board?? The book doesn't really say either: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1771-um001_-en-p.pdf Maybe Ken or OkiePC would know??? Lots of us "experienced" integrators lurking here. John Edited by a062549

Going 'way 'way back there was -AL (Adapter Local) and -AR (Adapter Remote). The -AR used 4-core intercom cable to communicate with the original 1774 PLC. As the PLC-2 gained RIO (SD scanner) and the PLC-3 was introduced, they switched to twin-ax cable (blue hose) and the -AS adapter. Maybe the S stands for something (synchronous perhaps) or maybe it's just the next letter in the alphabet. Later improvements to the -AS adapter resulted in the -ASB (-AS series B).

Thanks for the info. I have seen the word "subnet" used when talking about this adapter and was wondering if maybe that was what the "S" stood for. ???