Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
python01

"The source selected is not a valid device" error

9 posts in this topic

I am trying to upload from Panel View Plus 600 to my laptop using Factory Talk View ME via Ethernet. The RSLinx Enterprise does see the Panel View but when I hit the upload button I get the following error message: "The source selected is not a valid device. Please select a valid source and try again." Does anyone know what is the issue? I am attaching screen shot to visualize what is happening.

You have drilled down too far when selecting the PV. The PV itself is the blue and grey icon with the IP address next to it, not the "PanelView Plus System" with the network icon. Click on the panelview icon and try again

AS, When I did select the blue/grey icon I got message "File does not exist" or something like that. I am not on site right now to try it again, just want to get as much info as possible so I can make the upload when I get back there.

You may need to select the source file within the Panelview also. That entry field is blank.

^^what he said :) there can be multiple runtime files stored on the PV (or on the CF card), you have to tell it which file to upload as well.

Also, make sure the source HMI application FactoryTalk version matches your development PC FactoryTalk version. If your development PC has an older version, I believe you will get this message.

In my case there was two files in the HMI so I had to select which one I want to download. I just wonder why the HMI would have two files and what needs to be set so the HMI knows which one to use?

If your application has a "Shutdown" button, you can shut the application down then view the path/file it is currently using. There may be another method but that is the only one I'm aware of. To set an application via the Transfer Utility, check the check box next to "Run application at start-up" when you are downloading. You can also set an application to Run at start-up via PanelView Plus menu. I don't have one in front of me now but it should be evident if you poke around the menus. Edited by IO_Rack

You can put as many runtime files on a HMI as you like (until you run out of memory, obviously). In the Startup menu of the PV you can tell it what to do on powerup - go to the configuration screen, or run a certain application