Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
valerio81

Ignition - any review?

9 posts in this topic

Hi there, I heard about "Ignition" as new kind of modern multiplatform SCADA. It is web based, it looks interesting, easy to use and strictly connected with DB/MES world. But I had since now a feedback of people using it. Anybody has any kind of experience on it? What do you think about it? Thanks in advance.

I'm also really interested in using Ignition. I haven't used it myself, but I have seen it used with a company that has multiple facilities. The actual machine control is done via any type of HMI, usually FactoryTalk SE or ME, or whatever the vendor provided equipment might use. They have an Ignition server to set up to collect production information and other data, and the information is presented in a dashboard like format. Mainly used by mill managers and higher "ranked" personnel. They really like it. Cost vs features, it's hard to compete with when you're talking about a full featured SCADA. I'd go for it.

I've been getting up to date on Ignition for the past few months so I can take over support for a number of projects my current employer had developed recently. I'm pretty damned impressed with the capabilities, and the pricing structure is so different than any of the other big name players in the market right now. Don't take my word for it though. They just recently released a new website with hundreds of free training videos split up into different courses. If anything, it'll give you some idea about the software. https://inductiveuniversity.com/courses/all - Training videos https://inductiveautomation.com/forum/index.php - Forums (Lots of good info)

I've been setting up a small system to read gas flow on 9 of our furnaces, including log,report,trending. Its fairly easy to configure, and their support agents are quite helpful and quick to respond. I've gained a lot of knowledge from the forum they host also. Unfortunately my IT deptartment restricts the video host for their Inductive University, otherwise I would have made use of that. Rich

I've been using Ignition for about a year now and have been very pleased with it. There were several tricks that I picked up by attending the training courses but the new Inductive University is an awesome tool. There are also a lot of youtube videos out there. We began looking at Ignition due to the then pending retirement of WinXP operating systems. Corporate IT policy called for the replacement of all XP machines with Win7-64 by year end last year, however the HMI software we were using was 32 bit and would not run on Win7-64. The manufacturer had no plans to move the _____32 product line forward. We had deployed six HMI station using the manufacturer's next generation of HMI software but there were several substantial differences and we found the software to be a lot more unstable and difficult to work. (Can I just say it was rubbish and that they broke a good product when they created the new version?) I had heard of Ignition and seen it discussed on various forums so we checked it out. We downloaded the software and pretty much developed most of our first project in trial mode with a Dell laptop computer for a server. Now we are running about twenty five full time clients and launching more. We've also developed a number of additional clients that are tools for reporting and supervisor overviews. We are preparing to deploy a backup gateway server. Inductive Automation's tech support is fantastic. As a price comparison point, I recently received the quote for renewal of our annual web only tech support package from the HMI software supplier we have been using. The price for the web only tech support for one year only was higher than the purchase price of the Ignition Works package. We won't be renewing. Edited by TConnolly

Thank you everybody for helpful suggestions. We are probably going to try it nex months, so I let you know by myself too! Anyway I already installed Demo mode on my linux OS and it works good!

Here's some descriptions and reviews of Ignition:

Inductive Automation's Ignition - http://nickmudge.info/?post=146

Ignition Versus: FactoryTalk View – Licensing and Training Costs - http://blog.perfectabstractions.com/2017/03/13/ignition-versus-factorytalk-view-licensing-and-training-costs/

Ignition Versus: FactoryTalk View – Component Scripting Capabilities - http://blog.perfectabstractions.com/2017/03/13/ignition-versus-factorytalk-view-component-scripting-interfaces/

Just now, Nick.Mudge said:

Here's some descriptions and reviews of Ignition:

You are replying to a two year old post.

Are you affiliated with Inductive Automation?