MrAutomation

FactoryTalk Activation Server - Long Waits to start applications

7 posts in this topic

So here's the problem I'm facing. I've recently started working for a company that has two facilities. They have lots of old equipment/PLCs, plus some new stuff. We undertook a project to upgrade the network infrastructure, and replace all the old programming terminals (Some had Windows 2000!) with a new standardized programming terminal, all sharing a common image. We've installed these new computers, and they were working great. Recently, we switched all the licensing to a Hyper-V based server, using FactoryTalk Activation Manager. Right off the hop, there was issues with one of the sites (let's call it site B). Site A is working fine. When you open FactoryTalk Activation manager, it populates the activations from the server in about 1s. The wait times for opening software are pretty normal (For RSLogix 5000, "normal" isn't exactly rapid, but like I said, that's normal). For Site B, the activations take forever to refresh in Activation Manager when opened on a programming terminal. The software takes even longer to open (we're talking about 2-3 minutes). Network wise, Site B is further along than Site A. We've implemented a Stratix layer 3 switch at the top of the network and use area specific VLANs to reduce multicast noise across the network (much of the multicast noise comes from vendor equipment, not PLCs, so I can't control it). This works fine. I can remote in and use TeamViewer/VNC with acceptable performance across the network, so it's not being bogged down to unacceptable levels. However, connection to the activation server is unacceptable. I'm not sure of the culprit (yet). We are continuing network improvements, removing some older 10/100 links and installing Gigabit equipment between the Hyper-V server and the above mentioned Stratix, hopefully that might help. However, that same 10/100 link is the one I use to remote in and use Teamviewer currently, so I can't see how much improvement it will give us for activations (which really should take almost no network traffic). To get activations, I'm just adding the IP address of the Activation Server into FTActivation Manager on the programming terminals. Any ideas, people? Thanks

Not sure if you ever solved this, and I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I've had issues before with FT stuff and using IP addresses...it likes you to use computer names instead for a lot of things. Although that doesn't explain why it works so well on Site A and not Site B I suppose. btw...I Break Things? Edited by ASForrest

I still haven't solved this yet. I'll the try the server name thing and let you know. Thanks. As for my title... I figured I had to be honest!

Well I discovered the problem (it's been on the back burner for a while, we've just gotten along by leaving the programs open all the time). As a part of the network upgrade, we disconnected the programming terminals from the internet (as it should be). This, apparently, was the culprit. There's a "feature" in RSLogix that "needs" the internet (I guess?). I don't actually know why, but I finally connected with the right person at Rockwell who sent me this scan: Once I made the changes in the settings the problem went away! Obscure Internet Explorer settings is the first place I check when I'm troubleshooting RSLogix problems, don't you know?

RsLogix IE Bug.png

Edited by MrAutomation

On 1/29/2015 at 4:18 PM, MrAutomation said:

Well I discovered the problem (it's been on the back burner for a while, we've just gotten along by leaving the programs open all the time). As a part of the network upgrade, we disconnected the programming terminals from the internet (as it should be). This, apparently, was the culprit. There's a "feature" in RSLogix that "needs" the internet (I guess?). I don't actually know why, but I finally connected with the right person at Rockwell who sent me this scan: Once I made the changes in the settings the problem went away! Obscure Internet Explorer settings is the first place I check when I'm troubleshooting RSLogix problems, don't you know?

May be due to an old article, but I don't see the settings your are referring to.  We are seeing a 3 minute wait to open Activation Manager (and programs like RSLinx).  Some other issues with memory errors, too, but maybe not relate (maybe are)...  If you are still monitoring this thread, can you refresh the info that solved it for you?  -Thanks!

On 23/03/2016 at 0:25 PM, Cyber Gar said:

May be due to an old article, but I don't see the settings your are referring to.  We are seeing a 3 minute wait to open Activation Manager (and programs like RSLinx).  Some other issues with memory errors, too, but maybe not relate (maybe are)...  If you are still monitoring this thread, can you refresh the info that solved it for you?  -Thanks!

Hi sorry, I never did notice this! Yes the picture must have disappeared when some updates were done on the servers. I've updated the post to include the picture again.