Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kaiser_will

How to export UDT tag data

6 posts in this topic

Have a Studio5000 application (1756-L72S processor), with many tags grouped into a UDT array for recipe tags. Want to export the UDT array with the tag values, but that has been much easier said than done.

Check out the Upload/Download Tags utility in the Tools menu. That is if you installed it with RS Logix. It's an optional install, and it's a second option to add it to the Tools menu. It's a bit clunky, but it will do what you're trying to do.

Not sure if it will help in the situation you're in, but I'm pretty sure you can just copy and paste a UDT from one RSL5K project to another, and it'll automatically create the UDT in the new project and migrate the stored data. I haven't tried it explicitly, but I've done similar things and I'm pretty sure the UDT's came across fine.

If you export the relevant Routine/Rungs into an export file, it will copy the tag data into the export file. When importing into the new program, you will either need to select Create (if there's no existing tag, it's the only option), or Overwrite (if there is an existing tag already, you need to overwrite it. Don't use the "Use Existing" option). This will carry the tag values from one program to another. If you don't want to copy any logic, just create a dummy rung that contains a tag from the UDT you need and export that.

I was looking to copy the UDT tag values not just the UDT from program to program. I found a work around by building a FTViewSE screen with all of the tags/descriptions/values. Will add ability to print the screen to printer or USB memory storage device. Thank you

Use an export as I mentioned in my post above. You'll see the option to overwrite the existing tag. This will do exactly what you're trying to accomplish.