Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rswolff

UL Inspection

4 posts in this topic

I'm sure this isn't the correct forum....not sure there is one....hoping someone can be of assistance.....I need to build several panels and get them UL labeled......does anyone know what the process is and who I should contact? Doesn't look like I can go to UL directly. Thanks, Bob

http://ul.com/aboutul/locations Call one of the two places listed in Pennsylvania, and ask about who can inspect your panels. If they can't do it, they should be able to contact you with someone. We've gotten CUL (Canada) inspections done and it's quite painless. Costs a few hundred bucks I think, but I wasn't the one paying the bill so I can't say for sure. The key thing they check, from my experience, is proper grounding. So make sure your grounding is up to snuff. Best of luck!

We were building UL508A control panels. You can look up UL 508A on the internet to get a somewhat general idea of what it is. BEFORE you start building anything get UL involved. Tell them what you want to build so that way you don't build something that will cost you many dollars to re-do to meet UL requirements. We were set up so that once we had a UL approved product we monitored ourselves to make sure we kept built to what we were approved to build. If we were going to build something different or make changes to an existing UL approved product we had them back in to let them know what we were doing and they would advise.

I'd get ahold of the UL508A spec and study it. There are a ton of things that affect your design and documentation. You'll need to calculate the SCCR of your panels and label them properly with that and all the other information required. It's definitely possible to have a labeled panel that is not UL compliant, if you get an incompetent inspector. We just got a panel in from England that was stickered. It gave itself a 300 kA SCCR rating even though not a single component was rated above 200. My favorite part though was the use of supplementary circuit breakers as branch circuit protection. They even changed wire sizes through these breakers. But the UL Listed sticker was there nonetheless. Whoever put it there has no business around a control panel and ought to lose their job. Edited by The Turkey Slayer