BITS N BYTES

Sysmac Studio Improvement Request

232 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, BE said:

What do you mean by variables don't behave well? If I update the name of a global variable in the global variables table, it automatically updates it in other areas of my program.

However if I have 10 variables named Test1, Test2......Test9, Test10 and I wanted to change them to be 2-11 (instead of 1-10), I start by changing 10 to 11 and working my way back down to prevent any variables ever having the same name (which, rightfully so, causes Sysmac Studio to get a bit cranky and tell you off :burn:)

It's worth noting that by default it doesn't do this. Sounds like you enabled the option to reflect the changes to variable names

1 hour ago, photovoltaic said:

It's worth noting that by default it doesn't do this. Sounds like you enabled the option to reflect the changes to variable names

Ah, very possibly. It was probably one of those settings that my Omron tech suggested to change when I did their training course (and have since forgotten about it lol)

If that is the case, the setting is located under Tools-Option...-Variables.

Edited by BE
added location of setting

On 3/11/2021 at 9:48 PM, BE said:

What do you mean by variables don't behave well? If I update the name of a global variable in the global variables table, it automatically updates it in other areas of my program.

However if I have 10 variables named Test1, Test2......Test9, Test10 and I wanted to change them to be 2-11 (instead of 1-10), I start by changing 10 to 11 and working my way back down to prevent any variables ever having the same name (which, rightfully so, causes Sysmac Studio to get a bit cranky and tell you off :burn:)

My SysmacStudio doesn't do this thing for me. lol

Here is the video if you want to take a look.

2021-03-15_13-28-33.mp4

48 minutes ago, scotty134 said:

My SysmacStudio doesn't do this thing for me. lol

Here is the video if you want to take a look.

2021-03-15_13-28-33.mp4

Tools -> Option -> Variables -> Change the variable name used in programs

This will fix that behaviour

26 minutes ago, photovoltaic said:

Tools -> Option -> Variables -> Change the variable name used in programs

This will fix that behaviour

Thanks, I did install Sysmac Studio to new laptop and totally forgot about this option. It's silly that they don't do this variable set by default, lol :) Thank you!

On 3/15/2021 at 2:35 PM, scotty134 said:

Thanks, I did install Sysmac Studio to new laptop and totally forgot about this option. It's silly that they don't do this variable set by default, lol :) Thank you!

It's likely not enabled by default as it was added somewhere along the way.  When new features are added that will drastically affect the software, they tend to default to off.  Like when the added the option to as when typing a new variable name in a program to ask if it will be local or global, and to prompt for a data type if it cant figure it out by usage.  Those were not how Studio originally worked, and would add one or two confirmations when adding variables in a program edit.  So rather than confuse people who were used to doing it the default way, if you wanted the new options, you would change it and adjust to the new prompts.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it would be nice if we could assign a structure member to I/O in the I/O map. Currently it only allows "normal" variables, periods/fullstops are not allowed. The project I am working on has multiple structured datatypes for various equipment, and these structures include Boolean members that indicate the status of reed switches and other sensors (on physical inputs), and trigger run/start signals through physical outputs etc. So I basically have had to create individual variables for all my physical I/O, and then write the values from these variables to structure members (and vice versa for outputs) in an attempt to keep all the data for specific equipment together in the structure. Not hard to do using a few custom function blocks, but it just seems a little counterintuitive to create structures that keep things together and organised, and then have to create individual variables for physical I/O.

I assume there is probably a reason Omron hasn't done this, but it would be nice if we could :-)

13 hours ago, BE said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but it would be nice if we could assign a structure member to I/O in the I/O map. Currently it only allows "normal" variables, periods/fullstops are not allowed. The project I am working on has multiple structured datatypes for various equipment, and these structures include Boolean members that indicate the status of reed switches and other sensors (on physical inputs), and trigger run/start signals through physical outputs etc. So I basically have had to create individual variables for all my physical I/O, and then write the values from these variables to structure members (and vice versa for outputs) in an attempt to keep all the data for specific equipment together in the structure. Not hard to do using a few custom function blocks, but it just seems a little counterintuitive to create structures that keep things together and organised, and then have to create individual variables for physical I/O.

I assume there is probably a reason Omron hasn't done this, but it would be nice if we could :-)

I have wondered about that limitation too.  I haven't seen an IEC controller that allows it, so I wasn't sure if it was because they are limited to standard data types per the standard.  If someone knows, would love to hear it...

Can the Omron gods take a look at the download Ethernet/IP options to controller function? I'm currently doing tests and I'm about to have conclusive results. The plc is not taking the proper EIP configuration through Sysmac, but it does work if it is sent by CX's Network Configurator.

There's definitely a bug cause I installed a NX with EIP comms two years ago and I had no problems whatsoever.

16 hours ago, viman said:

Can the Omron gods take a look at the download Ethernet/IP options to controller function? I'm currently doing tests and I'm about to have conclusive results. The plc is not taking the proper EIP configuration through Sysmac, but it does work if it is sent by CX's Network Configurator.

There's definitely a bug cause I installed a NX with EIP comms two years ago and I had no problems whatsoever.

I have used this without any issues countless times. When you do a transfer to controller from Tools-> Ethernet/IP Connection Settings does it work?

I have used the transfer from within the EtherNet/IP utility without issue, but have not tried from the check box on the main Synchronize screen.

I tried both from the sync screen and the dedicated button in the ethernet/ip settings window. It did not work. It's not that it doesn't send the data to the plc - it does, the progress bar moves and Sysmac confirms, but the connection with the target device just doesn't work. But it does if I replicate the connection in Network Configurator and download it from there.

Maybe it's because this target device needs a configuration size and instance, which at first you can't set from the eip settings window. But you can change those if you right click the eds file you add to the toolbar on the right and click on the edit button - the parameters that appear are the same you set in Network Configurator. Same results though - the same identical configuration in Sysmac does not work.

I have confirmed this by downloading the settings via Network Configurator (connection works), and comparing the plc settings with the project settings of Sysmac. It says there are no differences, but if I download via Sysmac the eip connection stops working and throws the Tag Data Link Connection Failed error. If I download again from Network Configurator the connection starts working immediately.

Last time I checked (~20 days ago) I had the latest version of Sysmac but I'll see if there are updates when I have some time.

Is there any way to expand the inbuilt Data structure components without having to write values to them in structured text.

For Example - the sDevice_Port Data Type

Can you expand this to show and edit the tags/data contained in this structure - eg.

- DeviceType

- NxUnit

- Port No etc

Not sure what you are asking or why you chose to add to this post...

System structures are read only.  You make a variable of that data type and write to it.  You can write to any member in any structure, in ladder or structured text.

Crossbow just asking for some clarification

For Example if you Create a "Deviceport" structure and name it Modbus_Port for example.

To set the Device type you have to write in a structured text entry

Modbus_Port.DeviceType:=_DeviceNX_Unit

Is there a way you can expand the Modbus_Port structure in a table/array format and see all components of the structure and assign them values other than writing structured text statements.

How would you assign the DeviceType paramater to _DeviceNX_Unit using ladder logic?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Probably relates to this post because if you can't expand a structure and see all components to assign values rather than having to write structured text statements than that is a rediculous limitation of the software

There is no reason at all you have to write in Structured Text, as I stated before.  You can use MOVE instructions in ladder

You can use initial values in the variable list and set all the components in the structure.

You can also open a watch window online to see the entire structure.

Thanks for your replay Crossbow.

In the Variable table I have

Name - DataType- Initial Value

Modbus_Port - _sDevice_Port - Initial Value is Blank

No option to expand Modbus_Port to see included tags in the structure

How do you use the initial values to set all the components in the structure, will this only work if you are online?

Crossbow,

Thanks Mate, I just saw the black box appears when you click on the initial values rectangle and brings up all of the components.

A drop down arrow or + symbol to expand would have been clearer for a novice.

Thanks Again

Is there a way, when online, to delete a local variable?  I mistakenly put a tag in the ladder that was not in the global variable list and it automatically created that variable in the local list.  When I created the tag in the global list and I try to install  the variable in the code, it always goes to the local tag that was created by mistake.

I know I can go off-line, delete it and download.  I'm just trying to avoid losing master power for robot programmers.

Thanks,

Scott

When online editing, you can only make changes to one program.  f you need to add global variables, you should open the Global Variables list and make an online edit there, and then apply it, and then go do an online edit of the program.  That's why it made a local variable.

I don't think it will let you delete a local variable as an online edit.  I know you cannot delete global variables as an online edit.

On 5/26/2021 at 8:19 AM, Crossbow said:

When online editing, you can only make changes to one program.  f you need to add global variables, you should open the Global Variables list and make an online edit there, and then apply it, and then go do an online edit of the program.  That's why it made a local variable.

I don't think it will let you delete a local variable as an online edit.  I know you cannot delete global variables as an online edit.

That's a good tip!  While online you can only edit the comments or add new tags in the global variables.  This is all new to me as I'm used to Allen-Bradley.

The variable discussion made me think of this tip.  It does not address your online edit issue, but is useful for programming offline.  There is a setting that allows you to select whether a variable will be created as a global or a local variable when you add it in the ladder editor.  To do so, go to the Tools Pulldown menu and choose options.  Then check the box as shown below:

60c0dabdf408d_SelectVar.jpg.319902ba3065

Then the following dialog will shown when creating a variable as you add elements:

60c0da00e1001_SelectVar2.jpg.6b6d67568f0

1 person likes this

Ability to use grouped objects as buttons and bitlamps as opposed to just graphics jpg png etc..

The ability to apply events to all items in the grouped object would also work at least for buttons.

HMI feature:

1. I want to upload batch of images.

2. I should be able to assign image to a button or other control by typing a name/resourceId, not just dropdown with bulk of images. Or they need to find a way how user can group them to limit access to group of images. Current implementation is annoying.