BITS N BYTES

Sysmac Studio Improvement Request

232 posts in this topic

I agree that the size of the array may be the cause. My Lane_Control array has 145,600 members. If I start SS without the Lane_Control array tab and add it after I am online, populating the watch table takes a couple of minutes. In this case, I was online and made a program change using Instance 1 of SS. When I synchronized Instance 2 of SS, the program locked up. I could not do anything with Instance 2 except kill it with the task manager. This has happened a total of three times in the last couple of weeks. I consider it a major BUG that needs to be fixed.

On 8/5/2017 at 11:02 PM, hwanghuatyong@hotmail.com said:

Dear Crossbow;

It is possible have this function on array replace only as per CX-programmer?

2017-08-05_112423.jpg

There are commands for moving data in arrays.

9 hours ago, Crossbow said:

There are commands for moving data in arrays.

Dear Crossbow;

Thanks your reply. I think you misunderstand.

In CX-programmer, user able to replace the address with Moving Address as per attach picture below.

2017-08-08_142548.jpg

Result:

-Address 0.00 will change to address 0.07

-Address 0.01 will change to address 0.08

-Address 0.02 will change to address 0.09

-Address 0.03 will change to address 0.10

-Address 0.04 will change to address 0.11

-Address 0.05 will change to address 0.12

Is it possible have this function on array replace in Sysmac Studio?

Mean that, if user key in on Search And Replace Panel with

Search What: test[1]-test[4]

Replace With: test[10]-test[13]

-test[1] will change to test[10]

-test[2] will change to test[11]

-test[3] will change to test[12]

-test[4] will change to test[13]

Edited by hwanghuatyong@hotmail.com

The answer is No, as far as I know...

If you're redefining things inside a program then it's quite an issue, but in the variable table actually you can define an array not from index 0.

Usually by default it will shown as e.g. ARRAY OF BOOL [0..9] for a BOOL array with size of 10.
However you actually can change the Start and End Index as you want it, such as ARRAY OF BOOL[10..20] will also create BOOL array with size of 10, starting index from 10

On 8/8/2017 at 2:11 PM, hwanghuatyong@hotmail.com said:

Dear Crossbow;

Thanks your reply. I think you misunderstand.

In CX-programmer, user able to replace the address with Moving Address as per attach picture below.

2017-08-08_142548.jpg

Result:

-Address 0.00 will change to address 0.07

-Address 0.01 will change to address 0.08

-Address 0.02 will change to address 0.09

-Address 0.03 will change to address 0.10

-Address 0.04 will change to address 0.11

-Address 0.05 will change to address 0.12

Is it possible have this function on array replace in Sysmac Studio?

Mean that, if user key in on Search And Replace Panel with

Search What: test[1]-test[4]

Replace With: test[10]-test[13]

-test[1] will change to test[10]

-test[2] will change to test[11]

-test[3] will change to test[12]

-test[4] will change to test[13]

7 hours ago, innoaloe said:

The answer is No, as far as I know...

If you're redefining things inside a program then it's quite an issue, but in the variable table actually you can define an array not from index 0.

Usually by default it will shown as e.g. ARRAY OF BOOL [0..9] for a BOOL array with size of 10.
However you actually can change the Start and End Index as you want it, such as ARRAY OF BOOL[10..20] will also create BOOL array with size of 10, starting index from 10

Change the Start and End index cant solve my issue.

Actually, i using shift register command to write the program sequence as per picture below.

I'm no issue to insert new step sequence in between by using [Moving Address on Search and Replace Pane] on CX-programmer.

There will become big issue for me on Sysmac Studio without this features on [Search and Replace Pane].

PLC.jpg

Dear Crossbow;

1) How to change the color for enum color (Please refer picture)?

2) How to show the enum value during online (Please refer picture)?2017-08-26_094027.jpg.b633059f62ce90ed362017-08-26_094845.thumb.jpg.ffb13b24d217

3) How to group the global variable?2017-08-26_095124.thumb.jpg.d6891aecc326

4) There is [Complete Word] function at Structure text, but no this function at Ladder diagram.2017-08-26_095722.jpg.43530ee2608a38e91c

1.  Not possible

2.  Watch windows will show actual value

3.  Create a structure, not a bunch of variables.

4.  I have no idea what that does.

This isn't about improving the software, in the future create a new topic when you have questions.  And there are far more people here than me who can answer you.

SFC Programming please.

If it wasn't for the insanely good pricing of NX IO and great local support of the Omron Engineers, the lack of SFC is almost a deal breaker. I know Omrons target isn't particularly process control, but SFC would make Sysmac almost unrivaled.

Edited by automase

For HMI:

(1) The ability to create object templates. I do not mean IAG, but templates for motors, valves, servos etc. So we could make one screen/popup for each type of device and reuse it. Very time consuming to make 60 popup screens for 60 different motors. And surprisingly one day the customer wants a change on all the screens.

This could be done with some logic in the PLC, but would be nice having the feature on the HMI.

(2) Make it possible for imorting new revision of IAG's and have them automatically replace the old ones. Had some trouble with this.

I also have a question regarding this thread. Who is submitting all the improvement requests?

Nobody submits this to Omron, but many Omron people do read these threads.

As for the first point, that is the entire purpose of an IAG.

I agree on the second one...

The ability to view status of variables in a variable table when online, like you can in TwinCAT for example.

Also, still waiting for the ability to force non-IO variables.....  :-)

9 hours ago, Andy_P said:

....Also, still waiting for the ability to force non-IO variables.....  :-)

:yes:

On 10/4/2017 at 3:08 AM, Solheim95 said:
On 10/11/2017 at 6:00 AM, Crossbow said:

Nobody submits this to Omron, but many Omron people do read these threads.

As for the first point, that is the entire purpose of an IAG.

I agree on the second one...

For HMI:

(1) The ability to create object templates. I do not mean IAG, but templates for motors, valves, servos etc. So we could make one screen/popup for each type of device and reuse it. Very time consuming to make 60 popup screens for 60 different motors. And surprisingly one day the customer wants a change on all the screens.

This could be done with some logic in the PLC, but would be nice having the feature on the HMI.

(2) Make it possible for imorting new revision of IAG's and have them automatically replace the old ones. Had some trouble with this.

I also have a question regarding this thread. Who is submitting all the improvement requests?

Omron design center for Sysmac software in the end went back to Japan. I don't know how much of influence our European team can give to enforce these ideas though...

I know personally I have submitted some feedback via technical support and local rep and there have been changes in the software.  Doubt it was directly my comments, but it seems they are listening to the voice of the customer.

On 10/13/2017 at 9:03 PM, Crossbow said:

I know personally I have submitted some feedback via technical support and local rep and there have been changes in the software.  Doubt it was directly my comments, but it seems they are listening to the voice of the customer.

That's good to know.

Anyway, anyone had impression on the latest Sysmac Studio 1.19?

15 hours ago, innoaloe said:

That's good to know.

Anyway, anyone had impression on the latest Sysmac Studio 1.19?

1.19 only lasted till I restarted.  1.20 now.  

The company I work for had some problems with sysmac studio 1.20. In some cases it was not possible to connect to controllers with certain firmware versions. We talked to our local Omron representative and he did not recommend using it yet.

The company I work for had some problems with sysmac studio 1.20. In some cases it was not possible to connect to controllers with certain firmware versions. We talked to our local Omron representative and he did not recommend using it yet.

1 hour ago, chelton said:

1.19 only lasted till I restarted.  1.20 now.  

That was fast... which can only mean they discovered  (yet again) another bug :slydog:

On the other note I had a good experience with my customer last month. For some reason his program is not executed at all. I tried to check it out in simulation using the Cycle Time Estimator function, but same thing happened : the program won't run at all.

Then I tried building the program little by little, copy-pasting each sections, and found out the root cause was a FOR LOOP. In there he used "i" as a parameter in UINT format, which checks from 0 to a certain variable value "j" whose value is taken from another math equation. The problem is value of "j" will be defaulted to -1 (minus 1) if no parameter is inputted to the equation. This caused an infinite loop since the FOR LOOP keep incrementing from 0 to 65535, then overflowed back to 0 (since its UINT, will have no negative values). We solved it by giving an initial value to the equation parameters.

They're happy that the culprit was found, but mentioned that in other brands such as Rockwell, a warning will always appear should a possibility of endless loop appears in the program during compilation. I don't know whether it is true or not, but it should be a good addition of program check.

EDIT:

Just now, Solheim95 said:

And yet... another bug... I kind of hate the way RnD team handling the situation these days... They should do thorough check before releasing anything. Of course bug will always be there, but connection issue with older firmwares is something basic that no one wouldn't expected to happen.

Edited by innoaloe

In less than a week after upgrading to version 1.20, they released only one update file (Sysmac Studio version 1.20.1.0) here in the US.

I upgraded and have had no issues yet.  1.19 lasted the standard 3 months, 1.20 wasn't a bug fix. 

1.20 has many new features like being able to open tabs from all devices in a project at once, so you can see HMI and PLC side by side, which we have been begging for.  Also, you can drag and drop contact and coil from ladder into HMI page and it makes buttons and lamps.  Haven't tried with numeric data yet.

Already an update to 1.20, now on 1.20.1

This is probably a bug fix given the short amount of time since 1.20 was rolled out.

No problems for me as yet.

Downloaded updated Friday and installed this morning, I am at 1.20.0.42.

But I see the update in the auto-update tool.  1.20 only came out 10/2, a patch on 10/12 seems like a bug fix.

In my case only v1.19 available in the AutoUpdater list. I must say I'm impressed with the improvement to view both NJ and NA project windows at the same time