Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kku

Omron Ethernet IP Error

6 posts in this topic

I am using a CJ2H-CPU66-EIP controller. This device has an IP address 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask 255.255.0.0 There is an error 'F3' on the front 7 segment display. The user's manual tells me this means there is a address mismatch. I have checked the front node address setting switch and it's set correctly (0 and 1). The PLC is operating normally otherwise to the other EIP nodes. I can ping all the other nodes without issues. I just don't know how to get rid of this error and what's causing it. Edited by kku

Subnet mask is not legitimate for 192.169.1.1. Change to 255.255.255.0

Well, not legitimate for the 20+ year-old assumption of classful addressing. It's actually perfectly fine, except Omron decided you can't do it... To be fair, they are not the only ones. If you need a Class B sized network, try to pick something in the range: 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

Thanks for your responses. I changed the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the 'F3' error went away. Edited by kku

It is possible to use a subnet mask other than 255.255.255.0, but it requires the unit ID to be calculated and the IP address to be set in the module settings. Check this post by Mike Walsh. Unit ID calculation Edited by Mendon Systems

OK - not familiar with Omron so they overload the IP address to represent some other protocol address too. They aren't the only ones who do this, and it's not a simple update to classless addressing schemes. I guess that's better than not getting with the times...