Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scada Tom

AB RSLink Ethernet Drive

9 posts in this topic

There are two AB Ethernet drivers in RS Links AB_ETH-1. This one you have to enter in all the IP addresses of the equipment you are connecting to AB_ETHIP-1 What's the difference and which is the best to use? I am connecting to AB PLCs, Panelviews etc. Thanks!

Generally, use EtherNet/IP (AB_ETHIP-1). This will automatically scan the subnet your laptop is on and detect all PLC's, PanelViews, etc. The EtherNet (AB_ETH-1) is, as you say, used when you want to specify a particular address. The only two reasons I've ever had to use it are (1) to talk to an old (1980's) PLC-5 on DH+ via an ethernet adaptor, and (2) to remotely log in to a PLC via the internet. I'm sure there are other uses, but as long as you're on the same physical network as what you want to talk to, 99% of the time the EtherNet/IP driver is easier

I use AB_ETH-1 on SLC 5/05 systems, AB_ETHIP-1 did not seem to work with the few SLC 5/05's I have worked on, not sure if this is true for all SLC's or not.

The ETH-01 "Ethernet Devices" driver is the only one that will work with older PLC-5E, 1785-ENET, and SLC-5/05 controllers with firmware prior to about 1998, which use only the proprietary "CSPv4" or "Allen-Bradley Ethernet" protocol on TCP Port 2222. The "Ethernet Devices" driver supports both CSPv4 and the modern EtherNet/IP protocol used by ControlLogix. The EtherNet/IP driver uses a broadcast packet to solicit "List Identity" services from devices on the local network. That feature doesn't work through routers or VPN circuits, which is why you generally cannot use that driver in a network that involves routers or VPN.

Thank-you for posting the question. I have mistakenly chosen the AB_ETH-1 before and had to manually enter in IP addresses. I think I got it to work, but I normally use the AB_ETHIP-1 now.

Our IT folks have upgraded our network and PCs to the point that the EtherNet/IP driver seldom works for us, often even for devices connected to the same unmanaged switch as our computer, especially if that switch is on the network. I've gotten into the habit of using the Ethernet Devices driver for everything now.

Indeed. Every time they make an improvement, we lose access to more controllers.

The loss of additional devices would happen if they prevent the broadcast packets from going any further than the first main switch it hits. I use both drivers to access all the devices here on site. I use EtherI/P to browse my local subnet XXX.XXX.X63.XXX. Since I have the same IP address I have no issues, when I need to connect to anything outside of the X63.XXX I have to use the Ethernet driver. Why? I am certain that the VLAN configuration will not allow for my broadcasts to be sent through the gateway then to the other VLAN and back. Seems more and more PLC programming and IT based work are starting to merge into the same role.