Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chupa

Gripe about Stratix switches

7 posts in this topic

First off... shame on me for not doing my homework before purchasing all the equipment. Second- shame on Rockwell for doing this... it could of been an amazing system if they just made the Stratix 6000 SFP 100/1000Base. The stratix 8000 series and 6000 series switches seem like a great combo at first glace but don't make the same mistake I did. My plan was to use a 8300 as the master with 6000s throughout the plant connected to the master via fiber. I can add a fiber expansion module to the 8300 and have so many fiber drops to 6000s all over my plant. Wrong. The Stratix 6000s SFP port is 1000Base ONLY. If you plug a 100Base SFP in there it will not work, I confirmed this today by trial and error and by contacting support. Ok so no big deal, I have to use the 1000Base. Except the 8300 only has 2 1000Base fiber ports. The fiber expansion module for the 8000 series is 100Base and the SFP expansion modules are only 100Base as well. There is no 1000Base fiber expansion module at this time. So basically you are only able to connect 2 Stratix 6000s direct to your 8000/8300 via fiber using the 2 on-board 1000Base ports. I am having to use a bunch of media converters (ewwww) to convert my 1000Base drops from the 6000s to 100Base to connect to my switch now. Edited by chupa

Welcome to the nightmare that some of us have been living with for going on 3 years now. Rockwell claims A about stratix and then delivers B or C but never A.

Do the Cisco equivalents ( I assume there are some?) behave better or are these Stratus (Stratii?) worth the premium?

I can't say - in my case Stratix / RA is the corporate standard and we MUST USE.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and suggest that the people making that call are not the poor bastards who have to actually make it work...
1 person likes this

A tip on Stratix Switches, download and use the cisco network assistant. Its easier to use than the stratix native web browser.

Apologies, I had to register and bump this topic to continue the gripe on the Stratix 8000 series. Our plant is in the middle of a giant expansion and the Stratix series was selected for use everywhere... 1. Logging into the web interface unleashes a nasty amount of traffic on our PLC network, and makes RSLinx unusable on our programming stations until the web interface is closed down. 2. Our 8000's came conveniently pre-loaded with a nag to enable Google Analytics - on a switch built for industrial networks?! Well, "Cisco Analytics", but the screen window still mentions Google. Screenshot: http://imgur.com/EYt9gBG 3. The long boot times are ill-suited for our application. We interface with a Foxboro DCS via FBM232 modules, which, after a power outage, time out because the Stratix switches don't power on quickly enough. These FBM232s have their own set of issues, but always play nice when a "dumb" switch is connected. Rant over... Edited by brahmy