Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nova5

MicroLogix 1400 Lockout/Disable.

5 posts in this topic

I have been asked to disable/lockout the PLC from operating on a deployed system. Doing so will cause no operator safety problems as this is simply a materials reclamation/filtering system that sits in a corner on its own. Is there a way to remotely lock it from operation without editing / removing the program? Remote Program and other such modes won't work as the operator could open the wall box and simply set it back to Run.

Can you set the major fault bit in a rung? I've never tried it. That will put the processor into a hault state and all outputs would shut off. It is S:1/13 if I remember correctly. Another method is to just set it to program mode and create your own LCD display, and set the processor to start your LCD display instead of the default.

I am not on-site. the 1400 has a built-in diagnostic LCD display and a few controls to switch its modes and check actual hard input/output states. So any mode I put it in (Program/Remote Program/etc) can be changed from the PLCs face itself. If Major Fault can't be cleared from the PLCs own buttons then it may work. VIA VPN I can hook into the network the PLC is on and reprogram/alter it as necessary from my development laptop. I can't do physical things to it, but I can do software. Edited by Nova5

can you modify the logic so lets say if you turn on a "Switch" in the PLC program ,it will put the system in standby and lock/disable all inputs/outputs ? it will need to also password protected the plc (if it is not already done) too Edited by mikey431

That is the simplest way and I had thought of that, I was attempting to avoid any program edits. It would require two switches (I can use the same Binary bit) to lock out the Auto and Manual modes. I have the current version of the program stored locally and remotely. I think the best will be to load a blank program into the PLC.