Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Krzysztof

Omron DRM21 and Beckhoff BK5220 DeviceNet

4 posts in this topic

Hello, In my company I have Omron CJ1 PLC which communicates with devices by DeviceNet and Beckhoff modules (BK5220 + I/O modules). My problem is that I don't understand rules of addressing Beckhoff modules in this network. Are there any constant addresses for remote modules in Omron plc or is it depends on configuration? I know about ESD files but I can't find place in Cx-Programmer where I can look at network structure in my project or see addresses of remote modules. I am really confused. Please help me with my problem. Best regards.

If you want to configure DeviceNet in Omron, you need CX-Integrator which is included in CX-One package, or can be bought independently (i guess so). The CX-Programmer itself is not enough to setup a DeviceNet network.

This is not completely true. You can use Fixed Allocations (Section 4.3 in the DeviceNet Manual - link below) to create a scan list by toggling a couple of bits in the PLC. There are rules to follow and does not work for every instance, but it can be done quite often. I recommend that you check with CX-Integrator first, but it could have been created using this methodology. Warning: do not perform this procedure unless you intend to wipe out the current scan list. This means if it was created using CX-Integrator and you do this, you will not know where the I/O was mapped. This chart shows where the I/O would be mapped if fixed allocations are used: Here is the entire manual: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=977

And to help round out the answer to your question, the way that the IO maps into the DeviceNet Assemblies, which is what the DRM21 sees, is entirely defined by the IO manufacturer. The Beckhoff manual should show you how the data is mapped into the Assembly, and from there it is a direct byte by byte mapping into the PLC.