Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMS

Text is lost on Graphic Screens built with FTView 7.0

4 posts in this topic

On graphical screens, all of the text is lost and replaced by question marks. Talked to Rockwell support and they said that developing an application on a computer with the keyboard set to US English and running it on a computer set to Canadian English can result in loss of text due to a program bug. The problem I have is that the graphic screen text would show up, but all of the text for alarm messages would be lost and be replaced with question marks. The original program was written on a machine set to US english, but was being run on a computer set to Canadian english. I reset my laptop settings to US english keyboard and uploaded a new copy of the application from a remote computer. This time all of the alarm message text has been reproduced, but all of the text on graphical screens has been lost and replaced with question marks. What the hell? This is getting frustrating, because we are consuming time just trying to get Rockwell's software to display correctly, let alone be able to test it. How do I get the text back without having to retype everything out? Any suggestions? Thanks. Edit: I'd also like to find out if anyone else has run into this problem when using FTView 7.0. Edited by EMS

Hi. I'm new to this site, and am by no means an expert, but I had the same issue between English (US) and English (UK). I spotted it early on and made sure everything was set to English (UK). The main issue that this has created though is that the help from the faceplates doesn't display correctly. I know it's probably too late now, but have you tried putting it back to how it was and just changing the runtime settings to English (US) It's the first time that I have programed in Factorytalk and have found that Rockwell have a lot of work arounds and you have to be an expert in visual basic to get factorytalk to do the most basic of functions like create reports in excel, read server status and even print from a server. Good luck to you.

I had exactly the same problem - It's not down to the PCs keyboard settings, your laptop's Windows locale setting, or anything like, nor is it a program bug. FactoryTalk View treats each language as separate entities, so text objects created in one language will be ?????'d when running on a system with a different language, even though they are both "English". My class had been instructed to start a new project, and without exception, they all chose English(UK) as the language. From there on, everything they "imported" would show question marks for button labels, text objects etc. The imported objects were created in English(US). I got round it by adding English(US) as a second language, and then made it default, and there is an option to display unknown languages in the default language. Can't remember the exact detail, but you should be able to work it from there. On subsequent classes I made sure that all the delegates chose English(US) for the new project !!! Problem solved..... Edited by daba

Sweet, just had the same issue on v10 with the Stratix faceplates. This fixed my issue. Appreciate the help mate.