Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bering C Sparky

Windows Software Selection Advice

6 posts in this topic

Well I have thought about doing it for years and today stopped procrastinating and ordered a new Macbook Pro. I would like to partition and install windows on this also when I get it. (possibly run as virtual) Have never done this before, but I was just looking to go ahead and order the windows software. I wanted to get windows 7 and have also thought about picking up a copy of XP while they are still avalible. Looking online I see many options, Pro, Ultimate, and with those they say things like Full, SP1, Old Version, System Builder, Full Retail Version?? Not sure what to choose? Does windows 7 come with XP mode already? I have seen in places they say that this is a download from microsoft for XP mode. If this is true is it still avalible? Does anyone have any advise as to what would be best to get, or what best to stay away from? Were best to purchase from? (I have been looking on Amazon) Also if anyone has ever installed Windows on a Mac before I would like to hear you opinion for best way to do this with least amout of trouble. This machine will not be primarily used for Automation programing (will be my personal computer) but I would like to eventually install Rockwell Programs on it. This will be my first Mac (other than Phone and Tablet) and previous PC's already had software, I dont want to by software now and get it wrong. Thanks in advance for feedback. BCS

I can't tell you about the versions of Win7, since I don't know. At least Pro comes with XP mode. I'm pretty sure Home does not. either way, I've heard mixed (meaning bad) reports about XP mode and older software, especially PLC software. To find out what you need to get, consider which version of which PLC software you'll need to run. That will tell you which OS to install. I would hazard a guess that the cleanest thing to do will be to set up a Virtual Machine. You'll want to max out the RAM on the laptop if you go that route. Right now, I'm running Win7 Pro 64 bit, SP1 on a Dell laptop with 8GB of ram. This is the MINIMUM you want. In the shop, we have two Panasonic Toughbooks, one of which is also running Win7 Pro with 16GB of ram. This is MUCH better. All of my PLC software is in XP Pro VMs.

Thanks for the input Joe E. Finely got my Macbook Pro this week once we got into port and just picked up a fresh external drive to back up my OSX before started messing with anything. I purchased the laptop all maxed out 16 GB ram, 1 TB SSD, and quad core processor so it should be no trouble running anything I can throw at it. I ended up purchasing a volume license for windows and software assurance so I can pick and choose which versions of windows I want to run. (upgrade and downgrade) This was the only way I found to get around not having an OEM version of windows. Also purchased VMWare Fusion and doing some reading on virtual machines now. Trying to decide what will be better: Run windows on a bootcamp partition of my SSD? Run VM with no partition? Or if possible keep windows and associated software on a external hard drive and boot it that way either native or as VM? The last option is the most appealing to me as I would really like to keep windows off of my new Mac, have to have it though for certain applications so I just want to find the least intrusive way to be able to use windows and still keep it somewhat segregated from my OSX. This is all new to me, in the past have always had windows machines with OS installed when I bought it and this will be my first time messing around with VM. I know that I have seen some post on this and other forums where members talked about running VM from external drives with there RA software on them, but I have some reading to do to see how this is accomplished. If anyone has any experience they would share with setting up and running VM from external drives or even just VM do's and don'ts I would appreciate the input. BCS Edited by Bering C Sparky

Run Windows 7 Pro and forget MAC OS for mine!

The best way to keep your host OS (MAC in this case) clean and uncluttered is to use VMs. I only store a few that I don't use very often on external storage. With a 1TB HDD, you should have no problem keeping the ones that you use frequently in your internal storage. If you have to move the laptop around while using your Windows software, it's far more convenient to not have to worry about an external drive.

My suggestion is to keep your Mac as shipped and install VMWare Fusion. I also agree that your hard drive is more than enough to store your virtual machines. When you create a virtual machine, you aren't actually installing anything else on the computer. You're creating a directory of files that VMWare can mount and run as a virtual machine. If you don't like the virtual machine for some reason (wrong OS, messed up settings, etc.) you only need to delete the directory of files. The best way to learn is to start using, so go ahead and create a virtual machine using Win7 Pro and the default settings. You can always change the settings later or start over from scratch. When you run the virtual machine, it will run in a window on the host OS, which you can expand to full screen so that it looks like you are running Win7 on the Mac. It feels similar to using Remote Desktop to connect and control someone else's computer. Within the virtual machine, you can do pretty much anything you want, mess around with settings, install programs, and test out different setups. What is done in VM stays in VM. Or at least in the aforementioned directory of files! You can create as many VM as your hard drive space allows. I have about five that I use regularly, with another ten or so that I use occasionally. This is because I have at least one VM per automation brand that I work with, so that I can keep software isolated and avoid conflicts. I often have two VM per brand, one running Win7 and one running WinXP for older software. For Allen Bradley I have more, so that I can have multiple versions of FactoryTalk View Studio available depending on my customer's needs. I started by creating a "Base" VM for Win7 and WinXP, then copying and modifying those for each instance that I need. In your case, you should have at least two, one for Win7 and one for WinXP. More than that is up to you. You can create test beds for new software, try out a new OS (Win8, Linux, BeOS...) or an old one (http://osvirtual.net/en/tag/vmware/). Have fun!