Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gromit

RSLogix 5000 licensing

5 posts in this topic

I currently am up to version 19.1 with RSLogix5000, but my vendor wrote me a program with version 20.1. So, what is the best way for me to upgrade to version 20.1? If I had the version 20 installation disk, could I load it on top of the other version utilizing the same license?

Coupleof quick choices.... Ask them to downgrade the project to 19.1 and resend it to you. Or, upgrade your RSL5000 to v20.1....and yes, your current license should cover that. In fact, you can have every version of RSL5000 upto and including V20. The exclusion would be V21, as this version is a complete different and only compatible with Win 7. The types on controllers that can be programmed, vary quite a bit.

Thanks pc. The vendor did/does not know how to save it as version 19. Also, I submitted a quote from our local Rockwell distributor to my management, and hope to get the latest version soon. Till then, how can I instruct the vendor to save it down to an earlier version?

There is no EASY way to dowgrade an RSLogix5000 program, it's not just a 'push this button to downgrade' type feature. Make a backup of the version 20 project. We don't want to trash it. Create an empty Version 19 project with the same controller and I/O as the version 20 project. Export it as an L5K type file. Also export your version 20 file to an L5K. Open both with Notepad and start comparing the initial sections where the controller and program revisions are identified. SOMETIMES, if you are lucky and it's the right phase of the moon you can change the relevant identifiers in the version 20 file to match those in the version 19 file. Check by starting up RSLogix5000 and attempting to create a new project by importing the modified L5K project. At first you may get errors but there should be hints as to where they are. Keep up the modification and importing attempts until you get no errors or you have torn your hair out, whichever comes first. Good Luck.

b_carlton, I was able to save the ver20 program to an L5K file, then modify the header portion with notepad, then import into version19 after just two attempts. No errors and only one warning. Thanks.