Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moneys

PLC Advice needed!

11 posts in this topic

Hi all. As above, i'm new to PLC and i'm planning to program a PC HMI/GUI (window 7 / 8) which can send command to PLC to control the servo motor and to receive data (i.e. Force reading, extension reading, speed) from PLC. (For example: tensile tester.) The data received shall used to generate some graph/report and later those data shall be stored in the database in CPU which may restore for future reference. Does anyone have experience or any idea to this? Which programming language (C++, VB etc ) shall i used to program the HMI/GUI and PLC. Please kindly advice or share some info?

It depends on the PLC that you plan to use. Find that out, and re-post your question in the forum for that PLC brand. That will get you a lot better response.

Thanks for the advice. I'm new to PLC and i have low budget to start this development. I need to get advice from Expect on which is the best programming language to program the PLC (Will the Visual studio or C++ communicate with all PLC?) or is there any other programming language which will be better or easier to program any PLC? I would like to start to program the PC HMI/GUI first before go to PLC Part. Edited by moneys

You need to pick the PLC first. Each PLC has it's own communication protocol and you will likely have to purchase a separate software package to enable the communications from your PC. For example, you'll need RS Linx Professional if you're planning to use an Allen-Bradley PLC, but you'll need MX Components for a Mitsubishi PLC. Furthermore, some PLCs have built-in Ethernet, some only have serial communications. Some even have USB these days. To answer your basic question though, you should certainly be able to use Visual Basic to communicate with most PLCs. That is the language I usually see. C++ is a possibility, but again I stress you need to figure out the PLC before locking yourself into something for the HMI.

OK. Thanks a lot for the advice. I will study and pick the PLC first and get advice from you again:) Once again, thanks a lot for the advices=)

AdvancedHMI is a free one programmed and designed within Visual Basic. They have some drivers and similar for talking to PLCs. Not all PLCs are supported.

I need some further advice before proceed further to pick the PLC. Is it possible for VB.NET to communicate with DELTA PLC? Will the input from sensor display on VB.Net software instantly? PS~~I have limited budget for branded PLC as this is for my Study Course work.

PLCs are expensive. If you're just doing this for school, can you use a Raspberry Pi ($35) or arduino? If you're talking about running a servo and doing a PC based HMI, you're talking about hundreds of dollars for a super low end PLC and Drive and really, it may be more than a thousand dollars. The cheapest thing that comes to mind to me would be either Galil or maybe a B&R drive with an AC140 in it. Automation Direct might have some cheaper setup.

Indeed it is expensive for me but this is my UNI's course work which must be completed with a PLC and programming language like VB.net/VB express 2010 or any other language which may obtain real time data from a load cell and control the servo motor. So far i found out that Delta PLC is the cheapest and it have LOAD CELL module. The problem which i'm facing now are as below: 1) I am not sure whether this PLC will work in real time environment as i do not have enough budget to purchase another PLC later on. 2) The communication method between PLC and the programming language. Anyone can advice? Thankss Edited by moneys

I would agree about doing the Siemens PLC course. It should give you a good understanding of the concepts and give you some hands on experiance. When you come to market yourself on graduation the more skills you have the better.

Siemens used to offer some really cheap seminars through their distributors here in the states where you actually got to take the PLC home with you.