PeterD

FactoryTalk SE Alarms and Events History Database

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I have Factorytalk SE (and ME) and have a project up and running. The last piece to my puzzle is to have the Alarms entered into the AE database. Trouble is I can't create the database. I've been all around the houses and tried everything i can think of and searched all the forums etc. FT View 6.1 SQL Server 2008 (As installed with FT) Windows 7 Home Premium in the project I have gone to Connections/Database - Add New database. filled in the form with the following, Definition Name : AlarmHist Computer name : RED10-PC Database User : RED10 (set up in SQL as sysadmin) Database Password :My password Database Name : AEDB ( I have tried this create a new database and also created it in the management console but no joy) OK when prompted i enter the User SA and the SA password. I always fail with (express selected) Unable to connect to the database. Database error - [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][shared Memory]SQL Server does not exist or access denied or Unable to connect to the database. Database error - [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBMSLPCN]SQL Server does not exist or access denied I run in admin mode. Any help would be appreciated Peter

Image attached.
1 person likes this

I had the same problem and called Tech Support. For the "Computer Name" you need to add "\FTVIEWX64TAGDB" to the end of it eg. "Dell-PC\FTVIEWX64TAGDB". See the attached screen shot. The username and password need to be the SA username and password you setup when installing the software. This worked for me. I hope it helps you. Richard
1 person likes this

A historian will give you a lot better control of the alarms, but without an historian, alarm/even information can obviously be viewed, but to see the historic alarms/events, you will need to set up the SQL (that's the fun bit). I use FT 7.0, but i shouldn't imagine there are big differences. Basic alarms In your project file, add a server, by right clicking on the ****_RSLINX and selecting Tag A&E server. Name it and point it to the PC where the main project file is held. (eg 'server1' in my case) Double click on the new alarm server and start adding your alarms, or export it to excel (to get the format right) and add them there. (NEVER do a save as, as it will change the file format) I suggest you create a few in the HMI first so you can work out the full format, messages and scan times. Hitoric alarms I cheated and got a colleague to set this up for me as my SQL knowledge is poo, but getting better. Your SQL database will store all of the alarms and their state (eg, active, accepted etc) Basically, when the SQL is set up, go into the alarm server properties and add the location of the history. I suggest that on your HMI you have 2 screens, one for live alarms and one for historic as, depending on how long you let the history store for, it could take a minute or 2 to open the alarm history. Don't forget to set levels on your alarms to distinguish between Urgent, High, Medium and Low (events) Good luck

Graphic displays are not migrating from rsview32 to factory talk se 6.1 on window 7 what will be the problem please some one help me

On 6/5/2014 at 0:41 AM, RichardT said:

I had the same problem and called Tech Support. For the "Computer Name" you need to add "\FTVIEWX64TAGDB" to the end of it eg. "Dell-PC\FTVIEWX64TAGDB". See the attached screen shot. The username and password need to be the SA username and password you setup when installing the software. This worked for me. I hope it helps you. Richard

Thanks RichardT ...... you make my day :)

Hi all,

I stumbled upon this thread while trying to Google a solution to my problem of being unable to connect to the SQL database. The solution of updating the computer name to include "FTVIEWX64TAGDB" did not work for me, but it led me to this KnowledgeBase article (https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1001595). Turns out the solution did not work because I had named my SQL installation something different.

I had installed a brand new SQL 2014 Express database and called it SQLEXPRESS14SP2, so when attempting to connect, the computer name I should have used was "My-PC\SQLEXPRESS14SP2". Just wanted to point this out to people in case they tried the solution here and it did not work for them.

Also of note, I used a new SA username (since mine from install was "sa" and the KB article mentions not to use that as a login) with the SA password and that still worked, so there is no need to use the existing SA username.

Edited by dusanm