Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phuz

Copying INT to DINT and DINT to INT for lengths

3 posts in this topic

During the PLC-5 to CLX conversion, the converter decided to convert all the integer (N) files to DINT datatype. It did this for all the binary (B) files too, and I actually need some of them in DINT because of the bit-shifting they were doing in the PLC-5, but I have a lot of instructions that are copying those N (DINT) to I (INT) files, and O (INT) files to N (DINT) files. And some of them are being done for long lengths. Of course, if I let this go as is, I get 10 INTs copied into 5 DINTs. I don't see why I can't change those N-file data types to INT because that's all they were in the PLC-5. Or am I just better off changing out the COP and using the FAL? Edited by phuz

The PLC-5 converter doesn't have any context-sensitivity; it just converts all 16-bit integer data table files into DINT[x] array tags because that's the native datatype for ControlLogix. I say change the DINT[x] arrays to INT[x] arrays so that the COP instructions line up the way you expect them to. At least, do that for the I/O tables, since those are known to be from a 16-bit architecture.

Thanks Ken.