Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jampc

NJ Series

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out it's possible to connect a PLC NJ series with the Red Lion, what is clear for the moment is NJ, do not support FINS anymore, so there is no way to use the Red Lion wit this PLC?. Asking to Red Lion they said there is MODBUS protocoll wich is supported by RL, the problem are the DM from the NJ, I have no clue how to read or write those. Theere is anybody on here may have done both devices talks?, or somebody can give me some directions to follow this matter?. Thank you all for your time and help Jose

The NJ does support FINS. To access variables, you do need to assign fixed PLC memory addresses under the 'AT' column in the Global Variables. The format for making Data Memory 0 (D0) would be %D0 in the AT column for a Global Tag. String data types are byte swapped by the NJ by FINS, so they will be a little bit of extra work. The FINS Routing Table information is Controller Setup / Operation Setting.

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you have some example where I can see your explanation more clear?. Thank you very much. Jose

Attached is an example of using the AT column to assign addresses. Omron will not be able to guarantee than a Red Lion screen will work with all data types, unless Red Lion has specifically modified their driver to support the NJ. The Omron NB HMI was modified to support the NJ, to handle FINS protocol differences like String data types. Having said that, as long as you stick to fairly basic data types, your should be fine.

Hi and thank you very much for your reply. I have seen in the Sysmac Studio soft, where the Ethernet-Built In configuration is populated, and there is FINS protocol, the only thing is to know if will work as use to be with the Red Lion, talking with them, said there is not any protocol done for NJ Series and for them may the only way is MODBUS (TCP/IP), the issue is there is no way to asign DM on "tags", so you have to pointed values for DM on CH, there is not a problem due the cuantity in NJ have no limits (right?), and the Red Lion talk about 65532 (or similar), for the CH assignation, so looks that option can be used too. In my thinking work with FINS on RL is more use friendly, because more better know, that is why when I have seen the FINS protocol on the Ethernet-Built in configuration just make me happy, but looks like is defferent than what I had being using before. Thank you very much for all your help on this. Jose

As PMCR already said, simply assign the 'old' DM style addresses on the AT column in Sysmac Studio. Then use that address in your Red Lion software. The NJ will communicate just like a CJ for the most part once this is done. This simply creates a map inside the CPU to store the label data into the old memory map.

Hi , thanks for your last reply. Is show time now, I just have receive the NJ301-1100 and the Red Lion G310. I have try the more easy configuration I know, like this 1/ Using FINS as image 01 and configurated on Controller Setup/operation Settings 2/ On Ethernet Built in just the IP 192.168.255.1 3/ On the Red Lion same configuration for the FINS as others project with CJ2, havin special attention at the IP and nodes. 4/ Just a configuration with a 3 DM as described before so name of Dm, DMemory0----------------->data type INT----------->Initial Value 5---------->AT %D0-------> Retentive check. All configurated in the same way. 5/ Tag on Red Lion, named as D0 and value is pickup from the PLC1----------------->DM0000, same for the other two DM used on the example. Result is Red Lion try to comunicate with the PLC but do not, I can send both programs if some body need it to help me out on this. Thanks you for all your help and support Jose

You cannot use a 255 anywhere in your IP address. That is not allowed. 255 is a reserved broadcast.

I am sure that is a typo. He has 192.168.250.1 in the picture.... jampc, What is the IP Address of the Red Lion?

And what IP address has been assigned to the Red Lion? It's not mentioned anywhere. It needs to be in the same subnet as the PLC's IP address.