Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy_P

NJ with NSH5 HMI

5 posts in this topic

Is it possible to have an NSH5 HMI communicate to an NJ controller? The NSH5 only has serial comms capability, so we are intending to use a CJ1W-SCU42 comms module and RS422. How can the HMI use the tags in the NJ? Exporting he global variables and pasting them into the CX-Designer symbol table does not appear to work. I have tried setting the network publish attributes to Input, Output and Publish only but to no avail. Can anyone point out what am I missing, or the relevant section in a manual? Thanks. Using: NJ301-1100 NSH5-SQR10B-V2 CJ1W-SCU42

Procedure Copying Variables from the CX-Programmer or Sysmac Studio to the CXDesigner 1,2,3... 1. Start the CX-Programmer or Sysmac Studio and open the project that contains the variables to share. 2. Select the symbol from the CX-Programmer symbol table. For the Sysmac Studio, select Tool ??Export Global Variables ??CX-Designer to copy the variables. 3. Open the CX-Designer symbol table and paste the symbol. 4. If a host address is set for the symbol, select the applicable host for the destination. What versions of Sysmac Studio and CX Designer do you have?

Further reading reveals the following modes supported for CJ1W-SCU42 when used with an NJ Controller: A Serial Communications Unit is a CPU Bus Unit that provides RS-232C or RS-422A/485 serial communications ports. You can use the following five serial communications modes as required for each serial communications port. • Protocol Macro: For communications between PLCs and general-purpose external devices • Serial Gateway • No-protocol • Modbus-RTU Slave • Loopback Test: For testing the communications ports The Serial Gateway can also be executed in Protocol Macro Mode. Modbus-ASCII Slave Mode is not supported. Hostlink and NT Link are not supported with used with an NJ CPU. Moderator PMCR: Please confirm.

Does Omron have any plans to update the NSH5 to something other than serial? The safety circuits can stay hard wired but it would be nice if the communication portion can be updated to use Ethernet IP.

Sysmac Studio V1.08 CX-Designer V3.520 It turns out you can do it, but it requires a bit of fiddling around. NT link is an address based protocol, unlike Ethernet/IP, which is tag based. Therefore copying and pasting tags from Sysmac Studio into CX-Designer will never work. Instead, you can define a variable in Sysmac Studio and use the AT attribute. i.e. create a BOOL called Test (for example) and mark it as AT %W0.0. In CX-Designer create a symbol that points to WR00000.00. It doesn't have to have the same variable name as the comms is only interested with the address. How all this works under the covers is a bit of mystery to me, but it does work and that is all that matters! I found an app note on the MyOmron site that explains it all nicely: http://www.myomron.c...kb&article=1408 The app note mentions creating Sysmac Studio internal variables, but it works with globals just as well. And yes - it would be nice if the NSH5 was upgraded to be able to use Ethernet! Edited by Andy_P