Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mach3Maelstrom

Commenting Rungs in RSLogix

8 posts in this topic

My Question: How do I attribute comments to a singular rung rather than to an "attribute", i.e. OTE, OTL, OTU commands? --- I'm learning how to program PLCs on my own and am having trouble applying my "copious comments" mentality in this software. I have the following rung, where I've commented a lot of detail in case another engineer needs to read my code in the future: My intention is for this comment to ONLY stay on rung 0. Instead, it comes up on every rung where SYSTEMS_MSTR_BIT is an "actuator". The way I've been adding comments is by right-clicking the rung number, selecting Edit Comment, and writing my commentary there. Please let me know if: - I'm doing this incorrectly, and let me know how I should attribute my comment to the rung alone, or - This isn't possible on the Allen Bradley RSlogix Micro software. Thanks in advance! --- DETAILS: Software: Allen Bradley RSlogix Micro. Hardware: Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1100.

In the Edit Comment window, make sure you select Attach to File/Rung instead of Attach to Output.
1 person likes this

Here is an image explaining what ESCI is talking about. Also you can change the default of this by going to Tools > Options.
1 person likes this

Which also makes me wonder...why would anyone attach a comment to an output like this? What purpose could it serve?

I've always wondered that myself. I thought that was what instruction comments were for.

It worked! I guess I never attributed that radio button to the command. Thank you so much TWControls & ECSI for your quick answers. The screenshots were terrific in helping me get it immediately, plus it's great to know how to make RSLogix default to commenting rungs.

No problem, glad we could help.

Extremely useful, when uploading from PLC to offline project with comments. If the program in the PLC is different (and it is, otherwise just going online would be enough), rung numbers may be different, and the rung-attached comments will apply to wrong rungs. I always attach comments to dummy anchor bits. Comment anchor bit must be the last output instruction of the rung. Edited by Sergei Troizky
1 person likes this