Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PkB01

Display Visibility

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I am new to the forum and self learning my way through Factorytalk View Studio ME I have an existing project that I am working on and would like to know if I can create a new display that will pop up, display or be visible only when certain tags from the plc are on/true, and then either go back to being invisible automatically or by adding an acknowledge button. Can this be done? I have already created the display with objects on it and each of the objects has a visibility set up.

Welcome to the Forum! Within your FTVS application, right-click on an empty area of the respective Display and choose Display Properties...; choose the Size (in pixels),give it a Number and decide which way it's going to show up (Replacing or On-Top of the previous display); move over to the Display Properties interface Behavior Tab and you will find the "placeholders" for the display's Startup and Shutdown macros. Within the Project Tree Logic and Control folder, create two macros containing the tags and relating expressions required for the Startup and Shutdown of the newly configured display and then, point the Display Properties/Behavior configurator to the configured macros. Don't forget to add Display Navigation buttons and to Save when done. Edited by dmargineau

drmarginaeu, Thank you for your answer, I will give this a go and see what happens.

Ok I've done everything as suggested but the display will not pop up on the HMI screen. In the View ME software all of the objects seem to function correctly with the display opened and "Test Display" clicked on. I can toggle all of the tags in the PLC and all of the objects function as they should. In the two macros that I created I've tried multiple tags, and expressions, none have triggered the display to pop up. Currently there is only one tag in the Startup macro and in the expression box a "1". I also took the shutdown macro out from the display settings thinking maybe there was a conflict. Any other ideas?

"Test Display" mode only runs a single Display and does not run any other parts of FTView, like the Data Model, or navigation, or the Global Connections, or the elements designated in the Startup configuration. Try doing a full "Test Runtime", the little "Running Man" icon. That launches FTView ME Runtime on your development computer, just like it would run on a PanelView Plus terminal.

OK I did that.. Everything runs fine except for the display I want to pop up if the tag goes high from the plc doesn't pop up.

I think that dmargineau must have mis-understood your question, because the Startup and Shutdown macros are things that are executed as a consequence of each Display opening or closing. They do not trigger the Open Display action themselves. And you don't need to animate the visibility of all the objects in your "pop-up" Display; they will all appear and disappear together when the Display is opened or closed. Instead, what I think you want is on the Global Connections tab. It sounds like you've already set up the Display Number, and set up the size of the Display. Let's say the Display Number is "5". In the Global Connections tab, read the Help pages carefully, because the names of these things are confusing as heck. The "Replace Display" number is written from FTView to the PLC. It's the number of the currently open Replace-type display. There can be only one Replace-type display open at a time, right ? There can be multiple On-Top displays open at a time. The "Remote Display" number is read by FTView from the PLC. That's the trigger for automatically opening an On-Top or Replace type display. FTView reads this every X seconds (the Update rate, up there in the Global Connections window) and when it's nonzero, FTView opens the corresponding Display Number. That display we numbered "5" previously ? If you put a "5" into the tag connected to Remote Display, that Display will appear a second later. As long as the value in "Remote Display" is nonzero, that tag controls the display navigation. You have to put a zero into that tag for FTView to take back over its ability to respond to Close or Open or Go To Display buttons. You'll also see two other connections of interestL Close An On Top Display, and Close All On Top Displays. Remember that there can be multiple On-Top displays open. FTView can't tell the PLC about all of them, but it can take the PLC's directions for handling them. If you want to close all the On-Top displays, you set a nonzero value into the Tag that's connected to "Close All On Top Displays". If you only want to close one specific On-Top Display, you set its value into the Tag that's connected to "Close an On Top Display". Edited by Ken Roach

Ken, I believe you may be on the right track with this. As I said, I'm teaching myself through FTview.. Currently in global connections on the display tab there are two tags Replace Display Number is {HMI_ScreenConfirm} and Remote Display Number is {HMI_ScreenRequest}. As best I can tell there is only one display in the project that is set to Display on Top, and it is checked Cannot be replaced. This is the Header which is sized to fit on the upper portion of all the other displays. All of the other displays are set to Replace. Basically I would like the new display that I created to pop-up only when a tag in the plc is high. I have an Acknowledge button on this display to reset the condition or the tage and a Go To Screen Select (another display) to navigate away if the tag is not high. So in order to get this display to come up do I set it with PLC logic in the HMI_ScreenRequest? or is that in the FTView? In the PLC logic there is only one rung with the HMI_ScreenRequest Tag and HMI_ScreenConfirm, there are two instructions, a Clear(CLR) HMI_ScreenRequest, and a Move(MOV) HMI_ScreenConfirm-Source to HMI_Screen_Confirm-Dest. I'm thinking that if I add an XIO of the tag I want to trigger the new display in front of them, add a branch around all of those and and XIC of that tag with two move instructions, 1 to move the new display number into the screen request and one to move that display number into the HMI_ScreenConfirm. Does that sound right? Also the display that I created has a spot for the header display so it doesn't have to be shut down. Which would be a better way to go with the new display, set it up as On Top or Replace?

Ken, All I had to do was find the correct tags in the plc logic and set that up for the display I created. Thanks for the help and information, it works like a charm.