Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sirius0

RS485 sniffing software, Modbus, Drivecom etc

4 posts in this topic

Hi All, I would like some recommendations for software that will allow me to enter an RS485 network and see packets and/or display nodes etc. For example I have a little RS485 network that has some encoder interfaces (SSI/RS422 to DRIVECOM on RS485 and wireless receivers using MODBUS all on the same RS485 network) and wireless receivers using different protocols on the same RS485 network. Alternatively are there advanced commands for doing the same using terminal software? Thank you. Regards Chris

Will this work for you? http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=575

As Chris points out you can use the SuperMon software. As a small note; since you're debugging RS485 you can basically use any serial terminal/software of your choice since you can sniff anything going on the RS485. You don't need two ports for passthrough, you only connect directly to the bus without the need for two ports. However if you were to debug RS232, you would need to go with a passthrough solution using two ports. But again; RS485 you can use anything you prefer....

Unless there's some network moderating going on, multiple protocols on a multidrop 485 network can have serious 'collision' issues. That's why the Modbus RTU standard limits a multidrop network to a single master, because Modbus RTU is not sophisticated enough to avoid collisions between packets from different masters - there's no token sharing, like Modbus Plus has. I remember having multiple serial ports in HMI/SCADA PC's so that one serial port could be dedicated to each RS-485 protocol, even splitting Modbus ASCII from Modbus RTU, or from the proprietaries.