Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chantecler

(Question) software compatibility with 64-bit pc's

4 posts in this topic

Dear colleagues, I am planning to change my laptop for a newer one which has a 64-bit cpu. Does anybody know if there is any incompatibility issue between any Rockwell software and 64-bit cpu's? I am especially concerned about RSLinx drivers and the PanelView USB RNDIS Device driver The software's I most frequently work with are: RSLogix 5000 (v13 to v20) RSLogix Emulate 5000 Factory Talk View Studio RSLinx Classic RSLogix 500 RsLogix Emulate 500 PanelBuilder 32 DriveExecutive Ultraware RSNetWorx for DNet I also have installed some others that I utilize less frequently. I would appreciate your help, thank you.

Your best bet if intending to have all the listed software running within one "machine" is Virtual; VMware Workstation is the recommended platform. I'd suggest WinXP Pro SP3 32-bit as the Guest OS, mainly because the older RSL5K revisions. In order to run Rockwell Automation software on a 64-bit OS you will have to install and run only the latest available revisions (if available for 64-bit OSs!). Refer to: https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42682/related/1

RS Emulate 500 will not work out of the box - AB left off the driver for RS Linx for some reason. Follow the steps below to add the driver to RS Linx (I've personally put it on several PC's using this method and it works great! I'm assuming it will work on Windows 8 also but have never tested it.) Adding driver to Windows 7 - RS Linx Open the Registry Editor (Start-->Enter regedit in the open field). Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-->SOFTWARE-->Wow6432Node-->Rockwell Software-->RSLinx-->Loadable Drivers. Right Click on Loadable Drivers and select New-->Key and name the key EMU500 Right click on EMU500 and select New-->DWORD (32-bit) Value. The name of the key should be AutoLoad. Double click on the AutoLoad to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog. Enter 0 under Value Data and select Hexadecimal under Base. Click OK button when finished. Right click on EMU500 again from the left-hand side and select New-->DWORD (32-bit) Value. The name of the key should be DriverID. Double click on the DriverID to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog. Enter 13 under Value Data and select Hexadecimal under Base. Click OK button when finished. Right click on EMU500 and select New-->DWORD (32-bit) Value. The name of the key should be Flags. Double click on the Flags to open the Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value dialog. Enter 2 under Value Data and select Hexadecimal under Base. Click OK button when finished. Right click on EMU500 and select New-->String Value. The name of the key should be Description. Double click on the Description to open the Edit String dialog. Enter SLC 500 (DH485) Emulator driver under Value Data. Click OK button when finished. Right click on EMU500 and select New-->String Value. The name of the key should be DLL. Double click on the DLL to open the Edit String dialog. Enter ABEMU5.DRV under Value Data. Click OK button when finished. The SLC (DH485) Emulator Driver should now appear available in RSLinx to configure. As far as the other software - have installed all of them except: Factory Talk View Studio, RSLogix Emulate 5000, DriveExecutive, RSNetWorx for DNet and have had no issues with them installing or running on Windows 7 - 64 Professional

dmargineau, Rockford, thank you both. I am keeping the older one too, just in case I can't get the newer one to work well. Thanks again.