IO_Rack

NE1A EtherNet/IP Communications

8 posts in this topic

I'm looking for EDS files for the NE1A-SCPU02-EIP. Tech support is searching but hasn't got back with me yet. I would expect to find them here: http://www.sti.com/controllers/NE1A/index.htm, as I have found them for the G9SP here: http://www.sti.com/controllers/G9SP/index.htm. Specifically, I'm trying to read EIP data from the NE1A to a Keyence PLC (KV-5500). I have tried using the Generic Device without success. I have a successful connection between the NE1A and a CJ2M. I'm trying to match the KV settings to those of the CJ. I'm not having much luck here. Does anyone have any experience with the above? Thanks.

IO Rack Attached are the .eds file for both an NE1A-SCPU02 and an NE1A-SCPU02-V1. Sorry. I don't know how to use this with Keyence software / hardware. NE1A-SCPU02.zip

Thank you for the files. Please excuse my lack of EIP / CIP knowledge but I have a few questions. Rockwell to Rockwell has been my only experience to this point. 1) Are these the same EDS files that are found in Omron's Network Configurator Version 3.56? I suspect they probably are and my issue is with the Keyence software. The files will not register. 2) Does the NE1A have a default Assembly or must it be defined using the Network Configurator? I have used the Network Configurator to set a custom amount of Inputs/Outputs and successfully connected to a CJ2M. I'm trying to use the CJ configuration to help me with the Keyence. 3) In the DeviceNet Safety System Configuration Manual, the Originator (CJ) config shows an option for the Connection I/O Type: Input(Tag Type). The configurator software does not show "Input(Tag Type)" but instead just shows "Input". In the Keyence software it gives me an option for Input(Tag Type) as well as Input(ID Type). A) Is it somehow possible to set up the NE1A / CJ connection for ID type? B) Would it be recommended or required to use either Tag Type or ID type for the Keyence (or other third party EIP equipment)? C) If using the ID Type, would this require any changes to the NE1A configuration? I plan on contacting Keyence today. I'm also trying to better understand my connection between the NE1A and the CJ. Thank you.

1) Are these the same EDS files that are found in Omron's Network Configurator Version 3.56? I suspect they probably are and my issue is with the Keyence software. The files will not register. Yes, those are the files from the Omron Network Configurator. I don't have the Keyence software, but those files will load in Rockwells RSNetworx for EIP. 2. Does the NE1A have a default Assembly or must it be defined using the Network Configurator? I have used the Network Configurator to set a custom amount of Inputs/Outputs and successfully connected to a CJ2M. I'm trying to use the CJ configuration to help me with the Keyence. Try this information. Thank you.

Thanks again for the information. I have achieved success communicating the NE1A with both a Compact Logix L32 and a Keyence KV-5500. In case anyone is interested, I'm posting my results. I registered the EDS files with RSNetworx for EIP but noticed the NE1A did not show up in the EIP tree. I opened RSNetworx for DeviceNet (out of suspicion) and found it there. This makes sense now because in Omron's Network Configurator, all NE1A settings are performed from the DeviceNet tab and will even warn you of this if you attempt to configure from the EIP tab. Ultimately the EDS files are not required for third party connections. In the Network Configurator DeviceNet settings dialog, there is an "EtherNet/IP Target I/O" tab where you add the data to share and configure the size. What is missing are the "Assembly Instance" values that you show in your picture. What really hung me up was trying to do a Read Only (Input Only) connection. I attempted this because I thought it would be easier. I still have not been able to make that work with either the Compact Logix or the Keyence. I'm Outputting one Word of data whether I need it or not. It works. In the end, the set up is fairly simple. Use a "Generic Device", match the size being mindful of your Bytes vs. Words, set the Assembly Instance values. Below is a screen shot of the Keyence settings. Edited by IO_Rack

Hello, This may be a long shot as this is a 6 year old thread but....

I found that input assembly instance 100 (or 64 HEX) and output assembly 102 (66 HEX) needed to be set in order to make my connection work.

Same numbers for: NE1A to CompactLogix, NE1A to Siemens and NE1A to Omron CJ2.

My questions is: does anyone know where these numbers derive from? I cant seem to find anything in the NE1A operation manual nor can i even seem to find any sort of communication manual. Is the 100 and 102 instance IDs a Rockwell thing? I had found a custom document someone did which showed these 100 and 102 numbers being used, and that was the only reference of them i could find.

Any help in understanding these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

NE1A.jpg

The Assembly Instance is built into the NE1A. Think of it as a variable that contains predefined information although Network Configurator allows you to choose the information via NE1A settings. This method of EtherNet/IP communication is referred to as Implicit Messaging. I'm not sure why it's not documented in the manual. One of the Omron engineers has produced a document that shows how to set it up with a CJ2. http://www.infoplc.net/files/descargas/omron/infoPLC_net_NE1A_Ethernet_IP_CJ2_Rev1.pdf 

Since the Assembly Instance is "Input Only", I'm not sure what the 102 is, or if it even matters.

The NE1A does have good detailed specifications on Explicit Messaging in the manual. You already have a connection so it should be real easy to use a MSG instruction from the Rockwell side. Just choose CIP Generic then fill in the blanks from the NE1A manual appendix. That's a good learning experience.

Thanks for the reply!!!!!

That link you provided for the CJ2 walkthrough is what i was working with originally. That document only had an input connection example. 

I found another document that showed a connection between NE1A and Rockwell. That is where i found the screenshot i included above that showed the 102 output assembly.

That was my whole issue here. Why isn't the implicit messaging detailed at all in the manual? There seemed to be something very specific with the 102 output assembly number.

Without 102 as my output assembly, nothing would work. I've asked Omron directly but they are still getting back to me. Without that NE1A to Rockwell document, im not sure how one would figure this connection out.

ps. I am by no means a networking expert, just trying to get a better understanding of this.

I really appreciated your reply.