Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andy_P

Help with TSX-Nano PLC

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I have been dumped with a few problems to solve with a TSX-Nano PLC from Modicon/Telemecanique/Schneider (who the hell makes it?!). I have zero experience with this PLC so please be patient... The PLC in question has no status lights on except the ERR light which is flashing. From what I can make out, this means that the 'Application cannot be executed', which I guess means the program is corrupted, or even wiped. Possibly backup battery faulty? Am I correct with this assumption? I have acquired (legally!) some software by the name of PL7-07, which is a DOS based program. After installing it, I just cannot get a connection to said PLC. Digging a little, it appears that files by the name of 'DUNTL' are missing. Why didn't they get installed? I have tried numerous installs, but no luck. I have also tried all conceivable permutations of the 'Programming port' setup but no joy. How do I know what parameters to set the comms to? Is there a way of setting default settings as there is with Omron PLC's? I do not have a copy of the program on file, because apparently 'There has never been a problem with this machine so we didn't need one'. So even if I do get connected, I might still be screwed.... I have installed software onto a PC running XP Pro, with connection through a USB to serial converter. (I have a horrible feeling about this...) Could there be a fault with the PLC that will not let me connect to it? I appreciate there is a lot of questions there, but if anybody could shed any light onto any of them, I would be very thankful. several times. Andy.

Hi Andy I don't think there is any PL07 software running under XP. Now I use Win98. You will need a computer with a real serial port. Near the TSX Nano port you will find a 10 (I think) position switch. Can you tell me if it is in the "0" position? João

You'll never get the PL7-07 working under XP. You're going to have to use a boot disk or run Win98 or Win2K. The Unitelway drivers are your problem. You need to install the Unitelway driver and configure it for your comm port. It should have been installed by te software setup, but if not, I can try to forward a copy of the Win2K/XP compatible driver to the forums. I assume you also have the correct programming cable? Whaich part number cable have you got? For the hassle you're in for, it's almost easier to get a new PLC and write new code if you don't have a copy of what you had before. The flashing error light is not a good sign.

On another note... those Nano PLCs are actually made by Idec, as are the newer Modicon Twido PLCs. I haven't tried it yet, but the Idec WindLDR software works under XP, and it might be able to get online with the Modicon version of the Idec PLC. Historically, Square D and Modicon didn't (and still don't) make their low end PLCs. The Square D Micro 1 is an Idec Micro 1 (didn't even change the name!), the Square D Compact is an Idec, the Symax Model 50 is an Idec, the Nano was an Idec, and the Twido is an Idec.

Hi, Thanks for your help. Based on what has been said, I abandoned my attempt with Xp and found a PC running Win 98 with a real serial port. The PL7-07 software correctly installed and I was able to connect to the PLC straightaway. My suspicions were confirmed when the PLC appeared to contain no program. I obtained a replacement PLC (not going to trust the old one), and managed to get hold of a copy of the required program. The 10-position switch near the comms port is set to 0. I presume this is some sort of unit address setting? I was able to load the program using the 'Transfer, PC->PLC' menu option, and got a flashing green run light. Clicking on the 'Run' command turned this into a solid light, and everything appears to be ok. One question remains however. Under the 'Transfer' menu, options exist for transferring to/from an EEPROM. Does this mean an external EEPROM, or an EEPROM inside the PLC? Will the PLC hold its program from what I have explained above, or do I need to do a 'Transfer, PC->EEPROM' too? Many thanks for your help, much appreciated. Andy.

Old thread, but I just went through this nightmare. Machine sat in storage for 10 years (Heller reflow oven). Modicon TSX Nano TSX07 2428 V3.0 was flashing Error LED. Downloaded PL707 V4, made 2 floppies, and installed on system's IBM PC running DOS 6.22. Bought TSXPCU1030 because that was the "DOS" version. No comms. The solution is to build an adapter cable, described here in a document from Schneider. In case the thread dies, it's 2-2, 3-3, and 5-5. Add a jumper on PC side, 7-8. Add a jumper on TSXPCU1030 side, 3-7. From the document, I assume the TSXPCX1031 cable would have worked without this adapter. Next issue was the fault. Program is stored in EEPROM, but executes in battery-backed RAM. The cure was to use one of the software functions to copy program from EEPROM to RAM. Next challenge is to find out how to replace battery. Option is to port software over to a newer product. Rotary switch is address. Zero for PLC, one for first expansion unit, etc. Edited by Keith Kyllonen

Since the Nano was actually made by Idec (Micro3), you could consider porting it to a newer Idec model without much effort required. Or the one they still sell is called Twido. (Idec MicroSmart equivalent)

There is PL07-07 for Windows xp/7 Cables PLC <-> PC tsxcrjmd25 + tsxcusb485

To the best of my information, Schneider Electric has never made that software public domain, so it is illegal to share it. I recommend contacting them to see if they still support it.