Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paez

SCADA

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to post this issue, but there are not many forums in this business. I have a project installed on my factory. I have a few refrigerated chambers that I need to control temperature and humidity. There are sensors for both and use coolers to control it. It is all connected to a Mitsubishi FX3U–16M PLC, with FX3U-485 ADP MB and FX3U-64 DP-M modules for communication with a PC. In this PC, I have SCADA software that was build and installed by a company which doesn't exist anymore. This software starts from "%Programs%\Mx4\SCADA 7.0\Bin\Citect32.exe". I guess it was built with Scnheider Citect SCADA 7.0 (Mx4 is a OEM build, I think). I'm attaching two prints of the software. My problem is that I need to change many things on the software and don't know what to do. I have PLC software, but I don't have SCADA original project. If I had, I would just try to change it. So, my questions are: Should I start a new SCADA software with new Citect new version (7.4)? There are CitectSCADA and Vijeo SCADA.. I don't know what's the difference. How much would cost new Schneider software? I can't find prices anywhere. Should I start a new SCADA software with new Citect older version (7.0)? Could I possible use other SCADA software than Schneider? Sorry for all this newbie questions, but I need urgently to change my project. Thank you.

MX4 is just a brand labeled Citect software from Mitsubishi Europe. You can edit the current running project by opening it with the Citect explorer. (there ni difference between the Runtime version and editable version) VijeoCitect is the same as regular citect but just has the Schneider hardware drivers. Just open the project with the explorer (copy the project) and change the project you will not have to buy anything unless you add tags to the project so that the tag count is higher than the installed license.

Thank you for your fast answer. I've downloaded CitectSCADA V7.40 ISO from Schneider download page. CitectSCADA Explorer doesn't have a Open menu . It seems I can only create new project.. How could I open my current installed project, with all data (Graphics, Tags, Equipment, ...), and then edit it?

You can do two things. 1 On the PC with the running project .Copy the project(s) folder to your machine and use the add project link. 2 On the PC with the running project.create a back-up from the running project(s) and restore them on your machine using Citect explorer.

Ok, I guess I understood. Just one more issue: the running software... isn't it a build, I mean, like an .exe, that can't be edited?

No It's just one project which has been activated. It has some runtime files but those are in the project folder.

Ok, thank you. Just one more question. Current software (Citect Mx4 - Mitsubishi) was included when we bought all the system (Mitsubishi PLC). It was payed one time... we do not pay any periodic licences. At the time, I think this Citect didn't belong to Schneider. I even think (must search and confirm) that there is a installation CD for this software, So, weather or not I have the original SCADA project, I have the software that allows me to do it. It would be just a matter of a) continue from current project or b) build a new one from scratch. And my question is: since this software came with Mitsubishi solution, can I maybe get (buy) and update? If there is one, of course.... Because, since I don't pay any licences now, I don't want to pay in the future, if I buy Schneider CitectSCADA licences... Thank you.

@Paez: maybe you should get in contact with the distributor from whom MX4 was bought? They will probably be able to tell you more. I'm not sure at all about this (other people on this forum with closer links to distributors will probably be able to confirm if this is true) but is MX4 still supported/abailable since Schneider bought Citect? I had the impression that Mitsubishi and Citect had a good relationship with good dedicated drivers for Mitsubishi plc's. But it remains to be seen which way Citect is heading under Schneider (it was a real surprise to see Citect being acquired by Schneider). However, there seems to be a trend in the automation industry that each plc vendor now also has to have it's own SCADA. Mitsubishi (Europe) is now strongly linked with Adroit Technologies (it even has shares in the company) and is offering Maps, which is somewhat similar to what MX4 was with Citect (but now with the SCADA from Adroit). I was wondering though: is there any reason at this point why you would want to upgrade to a new version of Citect? You have everything you need for development. Unless MX4 is causing you problems, maybe you should start with what you have now (MX4)? Once you have a better understanding of Citect, you can then still decide to upgrade to a newer version of Citect (or another scada software). At that point, i think you will need to talk to Schneider to see if your MX4 version can be upgraded to a standard CitectSCADA version. As far as i know, Schneider has decided to be the only distributor for CitectSCADA from now on (former distributors like Beijer aren't allowed to distribute the software anymore). It also depends on what your future plans are for this project. Will you be making a lot of changes? If you are taking over the project and you plan to do a lot of changes and you have the budget, then maybe you could opt for a scada solution that you are familiar with. If the budget is limited and the changes are small, then i would start with using MX4 and see how it goes. Edited by Mitsu

My understanding was that Mitsubishi was forced to stop selling it after Schneider bought it. It's always been their policy to support products for years after they become obsolete, but I remember seeing a notice from a friend overseas that said the sales and support were ending immediately. I don't have a copy of that notice though...

write that it is necessary for you.I have the latest update for the MX4