Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
professor_jonny

bit shifting clock area ascii to hex

2 posts in this topic

so i have bit shifted the clock area to get a month of 10 (000A) and i wish to output this to a printer which accepts ascii epl programming language. But i cant put it into an hex to asci function as the hex only reperesents half a letter of ascii. is there a way to convert a raw hex number into an ascii number? the only way i can think of doing it is using the compair command and put in an hex string in ascii format on each valid compair. that is fine for month where i only have 12 possible combinations, but i wish to store pulses of a flow meter into the plc and it will output a number up to 65535 total pulses as you can imagine doing that for every number combination would be a very big task. there must be a simple way i'm missing.

Assuming that you are using a CJ (or equivalent) PLC, you can use the ASC instruction. However, it works on HEX characters, so with an integer value of 10, the hex value is A, so you would get a printed value of the ASCII character "A" or 41 Hex using only the ASC command in your example. To get around this, use the BCD command to convert #A to #10 and then use the ASC command as shown below: The end result (as you can see above is a hex value of 3130 which is the ASCII characters "10".