Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chuckrock

Log onto Factory Talk problems

10 posts in this topic

Normally I don't have to log onto FactoryTalk to use RSLogix5000, but the school where I work at has now asked me to upgrade their PLC lab to new PC hardware. They took a brand new system, setup a generic username/password and gave it admin rights. Then they installed all the FactoryTalk software, but did not activate it. They followed by imaging the hard drive to 14 other computers. So I started by going to one of the old PC's in the lab and Rehosting the activation. Followed by using the serial/product I rehosted to activate one of the new pc's. It said the activation was successful, but when I try to start RSL5000 it asks for me to log onto FactoryTalk. I used the username and password (with admin rights) with no such luck. This username/password is the same/has the same privileges as the original PC's in the lab that I am dehosting. Is this a problem that has to do with the FactoryTalk directory location?

Where is the FactoryTalk Directory located, locally or somewhere on the network? Edited by dmargineau

Well the FactoryTalk folder is on the computers hard drive. So locally!

I was thinking that if I rehosted the activation then it is disassociated from the computer and its hardware. So its not the activations fault. If I was to let one of the activations expire on the original lab computers and then re-activate it with a new serial/product number, I do not get a need to log onto FactoryTalk. I am going to try uninstalling all of the Rockwell Software on one of the images and re install it directly instead of relying on the software image from the original.

All Programs/Rockwell Software/FactoryTalk Tools/Specify the FactoryTalk Directory Location If it states "localhost", choose OK; if it doesn't, you will have to enter it ("localhost"), using the administrator's credentials when prompted Navigate to All Programs/Rockwell Software/FactoryTalk Administration Console/Local. Once within the FTAC, choose System/Policies/Product Policies/RSLogix 5000 and review/edit the RSL5K Feature Security in order to implement your intended setup. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/ftsec-qs001_-en-e.pdf http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm016_-en-p.pdf

The school does not have FactoryTalk security installed. But I will be reading both those pdfs, so thank you. Funny thing is I tried the "Specify FactoryTalk directory location" and was blocked from changing it because I didn't know the username/password. Also tried the FactoryTalk directory configuration wizard, and was blocked. But I just tried to start the program again and it works, no prompt for username or credentials. Explain that. I also now to get to redo all the PC's ip addresses, make a new driver in rslinx, followed by updating all the controllers to rev20!

If you have a local windows account with admin rights you are able to change the specified directoy also. I recently acquired three new laptops and went through the process of installing all the needed software. Since I hadn't configured a local FactoryTalk account I just use my local "Windows" login on which I am in the administrators group. This will allow you to select which directory you want to host your login. But I just tried to start the program again and it works, no prompt for username or credentials. Explain that. That is an option that can be selected within the FactoryTalk Administration Console. I learned a lot about FactoryTalk Security through trial and error. Hope your learning curve was easier than mine!

I am having many problems. The success of being able to access RsLogix5000 is being overshadowed by the fact that FTVS ME will not allow me set anything up. I stumbled across this nice post by Ken Roach: Ken Roach Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:25 AM The surest way to render the FactoryTalk directory unusable is to change the computer name after FactoryTalk is installed, or to move the computer onto a Windows Domain after FactoryTalk is installed. RA Technical Support is familiar with the resolution for both of those problems, and is also capable of providing lost FactoryTalk usernames and passwords. I believe the process that the IT tech used to image one pc across 15 others is exactly what Ken is talking about. I am thinking about uninstalling all the Rockwell Software and then installing it back onto the computer, hoping that it will remove the security problems by being a terminal specific instal. Is there a program out there that will remove all the Rockwell products from a PC? The list is huge, and going one by one is an arduous challenge. Edited by chuckrock

...which, unfortunately, you will have to undertake.... In my world, IT "initiatives" within an automation system are recipes for disaster...I am sure most will reconsider their approaches if having themselves to spend days on end un-installing/re-installing functional automation software/systems, where one missed step at later stages could force you to return to Step 1....

I finally got to talk to RA tech support. Very helpful, pointed me towards so posted fixes for problems nearly the same. They only produced more problems. I don't want to do the complete re-install of everything, so tomorrow I will try more tech support.