Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chuckrock

First time setting up PV 600

15 posts in this topic

I have a PV 600 (2711-T6C2L1) touch that I am trying to connect to a PLC/PC network via ethernet so any pc can download a program to it for any PLC on the network. I am having a problem assigning the PV an ip address. I am new to this process. I just finished adding a Micrologix 1100B to the network and none of the tactics of assigning the controller an ip address are working for me again. The PV 600 setting screen for "communications setup" is only giving me the DH 485 setting (max node, node, and baud). I have a 1747-C11 cable to connect from the PV to a separate PC(not on the network) ethernet connection. I was believing that I could direct connect the two and use RSLinx classic or Factory Talk ME to find it and from there assign an IP. After trying many combinations to no such luck I moved on. Also tried RsLinx classic direct connection of PV ethernet port to separate PC ethernet port to no such luck. I tried by creating a crossover cable option, and straight cable option. I have tried connecting the PV to the network and running bootp server to catch a MAC address from the PV and assign the ip address, but I was getting 3 new MAC addresses and assigned each of them a unique IP and followed by trying to find it in RsLinx classic. Since I am new, I am betting am making a simple mistake. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Please carefully study http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf prior to attempting anything else!... At page 20, you will find out that the RJ45 port on your terminal (2711-T6C2L1) is not an Ethernet one but a DH-485 port!...DH-485 communications are "transported" via RS-485 defined electrical circuitry which carries 24vdc voltages...Any Ethernet devices connected to an RS-485 circuit will invariably become toast... ...Hopefully you haven't caused any major damages since the ML1100 also does not support Ethernet communications...The CPU RJ45 port is also a DH-485 port. Verify your PCs' NICs (Network Interface Card) functionality if you had any connected to an RS-485 port! For connecting a PC to a DH-485 network you will need one of the : http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/214372/1535907/3499168/

Incorrect, the Micrologix 1100 does have an Ethernet port.

The separate PC network card is working. We have a setup that has multiple stations of PC's/CompactLogix L23E/Panel View Plus 400 with each their own IP address. This is at the school where I just finished my industrial controls course. I was hired contract to take older equipment and build a new trainer for future class labs. Worked perfectly considering from that it was built using a ML1100 and therefore RsLogix500 contrary from everything else. As a bonus we had multiple PV 600 touches sitting around and wanted to add one to the project for future options. I was under the idea that it would the same setup as all the PV+400. Just a connection from the PV to the hub through RJ45 connectors.

What about the ML1100 Ethernet port?...(Thank you Bernie for pointing it out!- I was "hoping" ML1000...) Is there any way you could verify its functionality? I have seen it done so many times (connecting Ethernet to DH-485) that I think it was a PC/PLC manufacturer conspiracy.... Only very few PanelView Standard terminals were provided with an Ethernet port while most of the PanelView Plus ones have one by default. You could still use any DH485 HMI connected to the ML1100 serial port via a 1761-NET-AIC interface converter. http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1761-um004_-en-p.pdf

I have connected and downloaded through the ML1100 ethernet port from the RsLogix 500 many times since giving it its IP address. But from what I am reading in AB Literature http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf , on page 38, 39 that the two connectors on the back of the 600 touch are as follows #8 DH-485 Communication Port Connects to an SLC or MicroLogix controller, DH-485 network, or Wallmount Power Supply (Cat. No. 1747-NP1). #9 DH-485 Programming Connector Connects to a Personal Computer Interface Converter (Cat. No. 1747-PIC) for transferring applications. Also connects to an SLC programmer, such as the Hand-held Terminal (Cat. No. 1747-PT1). And with this I guess direct connection to our network is impossible.

Well...It depends what you are trying to accomplish... You could DF1 connect the PanelView Standard terminal to the ML1100 Serial RS232 port via the 1761-NET-AIC converter and "populate" the ML1100 application HMI related data via CIP Explicit Messaging (MSG) to/from the rest of the Ethernet network "residents"; it will not be as "nimble" as a direct connection, however, I have seen it done.

Your expert knowledge and answer has made my head spin. I hope to be able to understand all those terms someday. But as of now I have limited options with the leftover equipment the school has, and I am diving into the deep end of AB DH485. If I direct connect the PV600 to the ML1100 "Isolated RS-232/RS-485 combo port" will I be required to direct connect to the PV to upload a new runtime?

You are not "required" to do so. You could download/upload the PB32 application file while Ethernet (Ethernet type RSLinx driver)"connected" to the ML1100 controller using a "Pass-Through" RSLinx driver; the controller will be the "bridge" to the DH485 network consisting of the ML1100 Serial 232 port, the 1761-NET-AIC converter and the PanelView Standard #7 DH485 Communications Port..

Sorry, the ML1100 does not support passthru communication. In addition your ML1100's serial port will have to be configured for DH485 protocol to communicate with your PV directly. You will have to direct connect to your PV to upload/download its program or use a memory card to program it. There are DH485 to Ethernet gateways but not cheap. See links http://www.prosoft-t...-DH-485-Gateway https://gridconnect....CFUNyQgodgmUA7g http://www.gw1000.co...5/gw1000-dh485e Edited by Mickey

Mickey, thanks for the ML Pass-through clarification. Does a PLC5 allow for channel to channel pass-through communications?

No, only the SLC 5/03, SLC 5/04, SLC 5/05 series of controllers support passthru. Edit: I might add I am not a ControlLogix/CompactLogix user so I don't know whether they support passthru or not. PassthruComm.pdf Edited by Mickey

Thanks Mickey. For quite some time, I've been babysitting (among others) this huge (2500 I/O) PLC5 system (mostly CNet Remote I/O Chassis), six thirty nodes DNet networks, five DH+ HMIs and some eight full RIO racks, including four PanelView Standard terminals; had to replace the original 5/40C with a 5/80C ($43000!!!!) a few of years ago since I was running out of memory; I have always used the PB32 Transfer Utility to download to the RIO PanelView Standard terminals using a Remote IO Pass-Through RSLinx driver when "connected" to the CPU via a DH+ PKTX card; so there was a Channel 1A to Channel 1B "Pass-Through" connection, at least when running the PB32 file transfer utility. Moreover, when replacing the 5/40C with the 5/80C, I have installed a PLC5 Ethernet side car since the PKTX cards became obsolete; since then, I am still able to download/upload to/from the Universal RIO connected PanelView Standard terminals when running the PB32 Transfer Utility from a PC connected to the PLC5 Ethernet port (Channel 3A) and "Remote I/O Passing -through" to Channel 1B. Are we "talking" about the same "Pass-Through" feature?!

I had no idea that was possible, maybe the AB gurus will check in here.

Want to thank everyone for your help. Even though I have learned lots, the school has decided to install another PV+400 with Ethernet capabilities.