Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JRoss

Extreme Environment HMI

7 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. I've got an application that requires the control panel be mounted outdoors (roughly -20C to 50C ambient) in a Class 1 Div 2 environment. We're planning to use a purge system on the panel. The problem is the user interface. I have only found one HMI that can handle this type of environment, the Beijer QTERM-A7, which is understandably pricey. The system is simple enough that I'm tempted to eliminate the HMI altogether and just use lights and indicators, but I would lose some feedback, alarm text, etc. I'm just wondering if anybody has experience with these or other HMIs that would fit the bill, or if anyone has found creative ways to meet this sort of requirement. Thanks, Jeremy

Have used the qterm a7 in a class 1 div 2 app. I like the HMI, but the Dev. Environment for it I absolutely hate (iX Dev), it's the worst, slowest, painful, buggy HMI software I've ever used. Back up often during development.

Allen Bradley Panelviews are Class 1 div 2. Many, many other HMIs are as well. The big issue you're facing is the cold, as a typical HMI is rated for 0C - 50C. You have the option to get an HMI built for cold weather (like this one from Uticor, google search result), or use an enclosure with an internal heater. If you go the heater route, you can choose your favorite brand. You can also use a double enclosure with an internal panel to mount the HMI, which will ensure it stays warm, stays clean and doesn't burn under direct sunlight. I'd recommend this route. Edited by MrAutomation

I've used the Red Lion stuff in the noted conditions, as well as the AB stuff. As for the temp issue, we installed a lockable cover over the face on the door. It helped retain the heat, though "someone" often left it open to the elements and that never was good. I agree the Beijer development software is terrible at best, and pricey for its stability.

Take a look at AIS Pro and give them a call directly. http://www.aispro.com/ I have not used them personally, but they specialize in extreme & outdoor conditions. Your software choices for an operator panel are Wonderware InTouch Compact Edition, InduSoft CEView or Progea Movicon™ CE. Of course, you could go with an Industrial Computer and choose your favourite HMI.

The Beijer software is not that bad - I reckon it is better than the Red Lion software to be honest. I have tried Red Lion and Beijer sunlight readable screens in the past and been totally dissatisfied with both of them. Even at 100% illumination they are hard/almost impossible in Aussie sunlight and I have had failures of the touch buttons in both brands. I would suggest you use push buttons and lights - lot less agro in my view. I no longer pot touch screens in these situations. Your circumstances may be different - the Aussie sun in summer in Sydney is absolutely potent. Hot day burns the heck out of everything. I also had a touch screen in Port Hedland in Western Australia - in the Pilbara - quite often gets over 40 C in winter - same problem. Removed touch screen to the panel under cover for setting thgings up and the like and for outdoors used push bttons and lights. Have not had to go back there and taht is a bonus - it takes a full day by plane to get there and even longer getting home due to time zone differences and getting held up on the western side of the country till midnight to get a plane that then gets into Sydney in the morning after the curfew at the airport. Not worth the risk in my view.

Jeremy, what did you find out? Is there a good way to install an HMI into C1D2, outdoor and freezing temps?