Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rstyszko

RSlogix5000 - Access denied - This edition of RSLogix 5000 does not permit this action.

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I was just contracted to come and help out this company with a lot of controls problems that they are experiencing. The main problem that I am having right now, is that any processor that I connect to (via Ethernet), I can see in RSLinx Classic, and in RSwho in RSLogix5000(V20.01), but I cannot upload the programs from the processors. I end up getting this message below: Failed to create project file 'C\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp|RSLogix5000.Temp\<projectname>. Access Denied - This edition of RSLogix 5000 does not permit this action. I check the temp folder after I tried to upload the file, and there is a file that looks like it started to upload, but only got a small chunk of the file, and it will not open. The laptop that they gave me to use looks like it has that temp file in a read only folder. I tried to toggle the read only radio button, but every time I do, it changes back to read only shortly after. Does anyone have any advice as to where I should start looking for the solution to this problem? Thanks, Rick

What edition of RSLogix 5000 do they have installed (standard, professional, etc.)? Also, was it installed for monitoring and troubleshooting only? If it's a maintenance laptop, that's likely, and I think doing that disables upload/download. I haven't tested it. You may also want to check the software version against that used on the processor. In RSLinx, you can right-click on the processor and check the firmware version. You'll need to have that version installed to work with the processor.

It sounds like the customer has the "Service Edition" of RSLogix 5000, which gives that error message [Link] if you attempt to perform an upload but don't have the source code for that program. Service Edition can perform uploads and downloads, but cannot upload if you don't already have the program file on your hard drive. If you can get the original program, you should be able to go online and view the logic and the database, but Service Edition is specifically built not to allow edits or creation of new projects.

I cast

* Thread Resurrection 2 *

But seriously, thanks for this.  My fix for getting around this issue was returning my standard license, and checking out the Full license from the FactoryTalk Activation Manager.