Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
N_Locus

Interlink two RTU

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody I need to interlink two RTU which is (i) 200 meters and (ii) 400 meters between two lifting station. What methodology is best suited and cost effective to interlink the two RTU. The RTU's communicate with each other and the master station we can also control, monitor and viewing alarms. Also is Modbus/TCP appropriate? Thanking you in advance.

Hello N_Locus! The advantage of any fieldbus that is using Ethernet is that you can put switches in between the devices and therefore extend the signal 100 meters each time you add a switch. Moreover testing the cable and finding replacements is much easier... If you want to do it with RTU, then I'd go with RS485 in order to be able to cover long distances (I don't remember which is the maximum). But it is definitely better than RS232. There are displays that are MODBUS MASTERS therefore you could use a display like that to be placed in the middle, just address the display to the right directions and done... Hope this helps.

RS485 can cover a distance of up to 1,200m (at 100kbps), shorter distance for higher data rate.