Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitsubishi_user

Mitsubishi Ethernet Connection to PC

5 posts in this topic

Hi I would like to ask if any one has ever tried connecting to PC based software using Mitsubishi Ethernet QJ71E71-100 module. The project is to exchange barcode data, send/receive this data between Mitsubishi PLC and PC based software.I tried to read some manuals related to Mitsubishi QJ71E71-100 and I am confused on choosing between MC Protocol, MELSOFT Connection and Socket Communication. as for the MC Protocol you need to input Host Station Port no. while for Socket Communication need to input Host Station Port no., Destination IP Address and Destination Port no. For now, the PC based software developer is asking me what protocol to use and as of now I couldn't give him the protocol. Please give me some ideas or maybe tutorials on this matter. Also, for the port no., what is the dedicated port no. for each protocol? Thanks!

If your PC developer uses Windows (C++, VB6, VB.NET or C#) the easiest way is simply to purchase MX Components. This is a suite of ActiveX controls which can be imported into the development software and give easy access to the PLC. If the PC developer doesn't use any above, or because of some strange reason he doesn't want to use that you can basically choose between the following: 1. The PC developer looks at the MC Protocol specification and develops that protocol. This is the easisest for you to handle since the MC protocol is built-in and you only have to make a selection in the SW, and specify the IP address and port number and you are good to go! 2. You and the PC developer set up a very simplified dataexchange protocol (you will then be using Socket communication in the PLC). This will be a custom protocol just for you, it will demand some work from you and some work from the PC developer. I would not recommend this since you might have issues in the future if/when something changes and you need e.g, more data available or something, you might end up with rewriting the custom protocol. Regarding the MELSOFT connection; this is the dedicated Mitsubishi protocol which is not available outside Mitsubishi (they have not published any specifications). Regarding port number you can choose freely from 1024 - 65535 both in MC protocol or custom protocol.

Thanks kaare_t for your quick response. If ever we agreed to use MC Protocol, PC developer can directly look into or move data to D registers or R registers? And I just look into the parameter setup for Ethernet Network using QJ71E71-100 , and comparing to the setup for CPUs with built-in ethernet they are not the same. For Ethernet Network, unpassive selection under open system and its equivalent on built-in ethernet cpu is MC Protocol?Am I right? And also, under Ethernet Network parameter Active and Fullpassive it seems there is no difference?

Hello, >If ever we agreed to use MC Protocol, PC developer can directly look into or move data to D registers or R registers? Yes About 1 year ago we added support to PeakHMI for the Q series using the MELSEC 3E and 3C protocol. The protocol is not very complicated and the documents from Mitsubishi are complete.

As Mark says above, and in addition; yes MC protocol is compatible with both E71 cards and built-in CPU's. The whole point of the MC protocol is to allow for easy access to the PLCs even if running different hardware.