Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve Banzai

Need help with Basic Project

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys, My name is Steve. I'm a ISA CCST, trying to come up with some ideas for a basic project im working on. Basically i'm trying to find the most cost efficient way. I work for a company, and we work in industrial fields so we typically buy the good stuff. Lol. All i need, is a basic controller (or even a CDMA modem capable of handling IO) to take in a digital input, and transmit it via SMS or email as an alarm warning. I know I can do these with Sierra Wireless modems, but the cost is way too high for this project. It can either be a controller and a modem, A controller capable of internet connection, or just the modem with IO. Or anything you can think of. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks Steve

Have you considered Red Lion products? Either the data station plus or the HMIs have a slot for a SIM card to do SMS. Their process controllers do IO, or you could use third-party Modbus remote IO. Not sure if there are less expensive options.

This is what the Red Lion Sixnet RTU was designed to do. http://www.sixnet.com/department/automation-devices-78.cfm?killnav=1&az=0 There are several to choose from.

Neat. I was in the right ballpark, but on the wrong field!

Thanks guys. I've worked with Red Lion products once before. I remember them being not too bad and decently priced. I didnt think about them. Thanks!!!

I'm going to keep this open just incase anyone has any other ideas. Red Lion sales contact is getting back to me soon.

I found that the Sierra Wireless Raven XT modem has this option. There is a digital input available on the power connector, that will send out an email, or SMS when the switch closes (or opens). This is perfect for what i was looking for. Relatively inexpensive. You can pick up a decent one on ebay for <250 dollars. Or you can go with the current model, the LS300 for around 500.

Hi Steve ICPDAS-USA provides a perfect solution and really cost efficient way with a GT-530 (Intelligent SMS Alarm Controller with 10 digital inputs, 2 digital outputs, an RS-232 port and GPRS / GSM communication. Comes with free software setup utility.) Here is the link for product web site: http://www.icpdas-usa.com/gt_530.html?r=Kaan