Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shiner

Enclosure Assembly

7 posts in this topic

We have a majority of enclosures that are relatively small, and the sub plates can be worked into place with not much effort. On some larger projects (3-800HP VFDs or Soft Starts) the plate can become quite heavy and physically large. We have hoist capabilities, but have no standard method of lowering a sub plate onto the mounting studs in an enclosure. Does anyone know of any special tooling that would help get this done? I have done searches on line, but I get the feeling that if there is something, it has a trade name and I probably will not stumble upon it randomly. Thanks in advance..

Hoffman Enclosures has panel lifting hooks available. The catalog number is APLH. The catalog does not state the maximum load, but we use these to place large and medium size panels into the enclosure and onto the studs. Check out www.hoffmanonline.com for more info.

Yeah, we have those as well. We are concerned that they will slip under heavy load. Our lifting point is a center hook, we probably need some sort of spanner to take the horizontal tension off.

If loading using straps or chains and a hoist (which you probably are), a spanner is definitely the safe way to do it. Nylon straps work better than chains. Once the Hoffman hooks are in place, they typically do not move if the even tension is applied to each hook. Another option could be magnets if there is room on the subplate after assembly. It is common to move large steel plates using this method. The lack of open panel space after assembly would probably not allow this, though.

I had the same thought about magnets. We are looking into the spanner method, just have to figure out how to make it up for all the different sizes for the sub plates. Seems like there is an open market for a tool to do this.........

Two of these magnets 1500 Newtons (337.2 lbs) each will hold any but the very largest. 24 VDC at 7 Watts each. http://www.jokabsafetyna.com/2012-04-03-17-39-40/2012-04-03-13-36-23/magne-1-2-magnetic-lock-with-indication?highlight=WyJtYWduZXRpYyIsImxvY2siLCJtYWduZXRpYyBsb2NrIl0=

Russ, do you bold one part onto the panel? I only see a 2 piece system.