ilarson007

Connect to an AB Logix5555 via 1756-ENBT?

17 posts in this topic

I am trying to connect to an AB Logix5555 via 1756-ENBT ethernet device. We want to get online with the PLC to watch the inputs and outputs. So, my problem is, I just don't have any experience with this stuff, and I cannot get RSLinx to see the PLC station. The computer is Windows 7, we are plugged into the 1756 with a standard ethernet cable (as far as I know). I'm not sure, but I think the first problem might be that in RSLinx, I cannot see a driver to configure for the 1756. Also, by using I believe just a standard ethernet driver in Linx, and typing in the PLC's IP address, I was able to see the PLC, but it said "Unrecognized Device," and gave me COMM error "01E00204." If anyone has any ideas, please, let me know. We have several AB 5000 series in the plant, and have never been able to connect to any of them, as far as I know. However, our integrator comes in, and (obviously), just connects to them right away. Frustrating.

you already setting IP Address on 1756-EMBT or not? the first Step for install 1756-ENBT Step 1 use Lan (Cross Cable) put into you 1756-ENBT with you Laptop Step 2 use software BooTP for Configuration IP Address via MC Address (Start>All Program>Rockwell Software) (find usermanual BooTP for more Information) Step 3 When Finish ! Use the RSlink Software select TCP/TP Driver for check who active Step 4 Right Click on 1756-ENBT and change From dynamic IP to Static IP Step 5 Trun off Power Controllogix System Step 6 Ethernet Module Keep IP Address !!

1. You must have your PC IP Address in the same subnet as the ENBT in order to be able to communicate with it. I am assuming this is OK, because ...... 2. You can configure a standard ethernet driver in RSLinx, and it "sees" the ENBT, but it is "unrecognised". The most likely cause of this is that you do not have the correct EDS (Electronic Data Sheet) file installed on your PC for the ENBT. This is easily solved, simply right-click the ENBT module in the RSLinx browser "tree", and choose "Upload EDS file from device". This will launch the "Rockwell Automation's EDS Wizard", which will upload the file from the device, and install the file into the proper directory and hardware database.... just click on "Next" 5 times, then "Finish", and the EDS file will be installed. Hopefully this will cure the problem with the unrecognised device. 3. Assuming RSLinx now recognises the device, it will allow browsing through the module onto the ControlLogix backplane, and you should be able to see all the modules in the chassis, including the controller(s). Go back to 1 if it doesn't. 4. Do yourself a favour and configure an "Ethernet/IP" driver in RSLinx. This is an alternative driver, which includes the Common Industrial Protocol, and it will automatically discover Allen-Bradley/Rockwell/CIP devices in the subnet. 5. Now go back to RSLogix5000 (you can close RSLinx). 6. Open up the project file for the machine you want to go online to. There should be a tool-bar called the "Path Bar", if it isn't visible, you can configure the software to show it, or (recommended) reset the toolbar layout to factory defaults... (Menu "View", Toolbars, click on the "Restore Factory Toolbar Layout". 7. There is a possibility that the "path" to the online project (i.e. the controller) is either "none", or an incorrect path. Either way, simply click on the "Network Browse" button to the right of the "path" text-field. It's an icon with a blue bar (the network), and 3 yellow blobs (nodes). This will open up the same network browser functionality (it is actually provided by RSLinx), to allow you to "point" the offline project to the controller - i.e. to set the "online path". 8. Once you have found the correct controller, several buttons will be enabled, "Upload", "Download", "Go Online", etc., but the trick here is permanently record the "path" to the controller in the project file, and there's a button to do just that. I recommend you hit the button "Set Project Path", and then hit "Go Online". 9. What happens now will depend on several things.... a. How long is it since your offline project was last Online... b. What changes have been made by your integrators... 10. RSLogix5000 will attempt to go online, but depending on 9. it could just go online with no fuss, it could go online and "correlate", or it could force you to do an upload, to totally refresh your offline image. Whatever it does, it is just ensuring that the offline image is "up-to-date", or sync'ed if you prefer, with the project in the controller, because that is a rule, to be "online" you have to be "in-sync" with the code and tags in the controller. 11. Hopefully you have got online by now.... best thing to do before doing anything else is to hit the "save" button. This will save any changes that may have been uploaded from the controller, either during correlation, or a full upload. It will also save the project path to the controller you discovered in step 8. Assuming you save the project "path", every time you open a project file from now on, you just click "go online", and it knows where the controller is. !! 12. Now stop wondering why your integrators can just plug-in and "go online" - it's because their project files contain their path to the controllers, which might be different to your path. The first part of that "path" is the name of the driver they configured in their RSLinx. If you can configure the same driver (Ethernet Devices or Ethernet/IP) on your machine, with the same driver name, then the paths will be the same, and you can more easily share the same project backup file. Hopefully Helpful.... Edited by daba
1 person likes this

All, Thanks for the help. We were able to get connected. It appears that we just had to set the IP address of the computer properly; looks like we already had all the proper eds on the computer. Thanks again.
1 person likes this

Hi, You computer is Windows 7 OS. you must intalled RSLinx 2.58 version or higher the lower on that it doesen't work.

On ‎05‎.‎08‎.‎2013 at 4:08 PM, ilarson007 said:

All, Thanks for the help. We were able to get connected. It appears that we just had to set the IP address of the computer properly; looks like we already had all the proper eds on the computer. Thanks again.

Hallo ilarson007

what do you mean with properly? i have the same issue

1 hour ago, ILC_H said:

Hallo ilarson007

what do you mean with properly? i have the same issue

In general terms, your PC and the PLC have to be routable to each other. At its simplest, they should be connected to the same physical network with unique addresses on the same subnet. See this link for information about subnetting:
https://www.lifewire.com/internet-protocol-tutorial-subnets-818378

In most settings I've worked with, we used a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, meaning that the first 3 octets of the IP addresses had to be identical. We did have a situation once where we used 255.255.254.0, allowing devices with addresses in the 10.130.32.* range communicate with devices in the 10.130.33.* range. That was ultimately eliminated via the use of VLANs in the managed switches (all done by our IT group, not us).

So...

If your PLC is at 192.168.1.50, your PC will need to be set to 192.168.1.x, where "x" is an unused address on that physical network. Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 or leave it blank.

Our standard practice was to allocate the higher values of the last octet (like 240 and above) for static assignment to laptops and virtual machines. Those addresses were reserved in all subnets (it was a messy disaster in that plant, so we had several subnets in use).

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, Joe E. said:

In general terms, your PC and the PLC have to be routable to each other. At its simplest, they should be connected to the same physical network with unique addresses on the same subnet. See this link for information about subnetting:
https://www.lifewire.com/internet-protocol-tutorial-subnets-818378

In most settings I've worked with, we used a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, meaning that the first 3 octets of the IP addresses had to be identical. We did have a situation once where we used 255.255.254.0, allowing devices with addresses in the 10.130.32.* range communicate with devices in the 10.130.33.* range. That was ultimately eliminated via the use of VLANs in the managed switches (all done by our IT group, not us).

So...

If your PLC is at 192.168.1.50, your PC will need to be set to 192.168.1.x, where "x" is an unused address on that physical network. Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 or leave it blank.

Our standard practice was to allocate the higher values of the last octet (like 240 and above) for static assignment to laptops and virtual machines. Those addresses were reserved in all subnets (it was a messy disaster in that plant, so we had several subnets in use).

ok in that sens i have a proper TCP/IP adresses set too. The IP of the PC connected to the PLC(192.168.1.100)  is 192.168.1.99 and the IP of my Computer is 192.168.1.105

So:
PLC: 192.168.1.100
PC: 192.168.1.99
Computer: 192.168.1.105

That should work. Can you ping the PLC from your computer? Exactly what trouble are you having connecting to the PLC?

1 hour ago, Joe E. said:

So:
PLC: 192.168.1.100
PC: 192.168.1.99
Computer: 192.168.1.105

That should work. Can you ping the PLC from your computer? Exactly what trouble are you having connecting to the PLC?

Exactly yes i can ping the PLC from my computer. I can also ping my Computer from the PC. but in rslinx it seems like there is no connexion between my computer and the PLC . 

Ok. What driver in RSLinx are you using? When you open RSLinx, there will be a driver called "Linx gateways, Ethernet". Don't try that. Instead, add a driver. Either use the blue "configure drivers" button in the toolbar or go to Communications -> Configure Drivers in the menu. Under "Available Driver Types", select "Ethernet devices" and click "Add New...". Name it something (or keep the default name) and click OK. In the dialog box that pops up, there's a place to map stations. Enter the IP address of the PLC and click OK. Select the new driver in the left panel of RSWho and the PLC's IP address should show up to the right. It may take a few moments for it to make a connection, but that *should* work. I've seldom seen it not work.

If it doesn't, try another Ethernet patch cable. Believe it or not, I've had a bad cable allow me to ping but not communicate. I banged my head against a machine for a LONG time once trying to get it to talk and finally replaced the cable out of desperation and it immediately started working. I then cut the ends off of the Ethernet cable...

I would suggest starting with the Ethernet I/P driver in Linx first as that is the easiest - if it works.  There are times that network hardware or other unknown gremlins tend to make that driver not work.  That's when I back off to use the Ethenet device driver that Joe describes.  In all likelihood that is why he first asks what driver you are using.  Many of us have learned that if you are trying to use the Ethernet I/P driver and its not seeing your devices to just bail and go to the Ethernet driver. 

1 person likes this

37 minutes ago, PLCMentor.com said:

I would suggest starting with the Ethernet I/P driver in Linx first as that is the easiest - if it works.  There are times that network hardware or other unknown gremlins tend to make that driver not work.  That's when I back off to use the Ethenet device driver that Joe describes.  In all likelihood that is why he first asks what driver you are using.  Many of us have learned that if you are trying to use the Ethernet I/P driver and its not seeing your devices to just bail and go to the Ethernet driver. 

At my previous location, I did the same thing...until IT updated our network and group policy settings. At each update, the Ethernet/IP driver was less and less likely to see the devices until it finally stopped finding anything, even if we were plugged directly into the device. At that point, I just stopped using it altogether and always use the Ethernet Devices driver. It's a bit of a pain to type in the addresses manually, and you have to know the addresses ahead of time, but that's what we have to do here.

1 person likes this

And if you add :EIP to each IP in the Ethernet Devices drive, it essentially turns into the EIP driver.  More specifically, it reduces to the specific ports for TCP and UDT for Rockwell products.

Hello Guys,

thanks you for your Replies. I tried  both Drivers Ethernet Devices Driver and Ethernet/ IP. I added :EIP too as Pcmccartney1 suggested.

I already have a PC connected to A PLC through Ethernet/IP Driver and that just work fine. What i want, is to connect my PC as a Client  to the Computer connected to the PLC.

As a client to do what? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Ok guys i start to see some light at the end of the tunel.

i call the rockwell support and the said i schould first  make sure i have Gateway Version of rslinx installed, since i want to make a remote connexion.  Then i use this link https://rcschallenge.inl.gov/opcserverclient.aspx to correctly set up DCOM on remote and Client PC. On the Client PC i can read the data on MatrikonOPC Explorer but not on MATLAB.

Attempting to connect to remote OPCServer with matlab using OPCServerinfo('192.168.1.99') will not work and the error says either "ACCESS DENIED". or "error in security package"