Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arbj

Basic help on using AnyBus Communicator Gateway for PROFIBUS

7 posts in this topic

Hi, I would like to implement PROFIBUS DP connectivity in my project. I am planning to use the Profibus DP Gateway for this. My system uses serial RS 232 for communication. The system would be installed in an industrial shop floor that has a PLC, HMI interface the PLC will use PROFIBUS to communicate with my system (via AnyBus Gateway) I would like to know the following. 1. For integration with PROFIBUS network, do I have to become a member of PROFIBUS organization ?? 2. I have read some of the manuals for Anybus Communicator, they do not mention how the PLC will integrate with my system. For example how will the PLC know which addresses to access to acquire data ?? Do I have to provide a GSD file too ??, I know anybus provides a GSD file, do I have to modify this file and add the addresses there??? thanks a

1. No, you do not need to become a member of the Profibus organization to use the Anybus. 2. You do need to include the GSD in the hardware configuration of your S7 project - you configure input and output words for the profibus scanner to handle. The coordination between these addressesand the serial device is done using the Anybus Configurator software. You lay out the "map" between the Profibus addresses for the S7 and the RS232 device. You configure each memory location as address X on the Profibus and address Y for the serial conneciton. You can configure the packet on the RS232 side to be whatever you want. Hope this helps, Ian

Thanks for clarifying these issues, your response was very helpful. In what format will the serial data be transmitted to my system, the user manual does not mention much about this, will these be in ASCII format or as a packet. Also is there any way of testing a configuration for PROFIBUS conformance, I would like to test the configuration in my lab, instead of doing this at the client's facility, is there any software utility that emulates a PLC master that I can use with the Anybus Communicator?? thanks a

Profibus transfers data in binary format. You'll need a "special" instrument/hardware to emulate a Profibus master or slave. Profibus uses it's own (licensed) electronic chip for the electrical interface (in other words not standard RS485) which means you cannot connect e.g. a computer to a Profibus without having a special Profibus card.

I did all of my testing with an actual s7-317. If there are profibus scanner emulators, I am not aware of them. I just made sure I got the hardware early on the first job where we used these. The data is raw. 0 is 0 not 30H. You can set up the serial frame to match whatever the RS232 device needs it to be. If the RS232 device has no specific driver, you get to make one yourself - just make them match on each side. The chapter on frame objects in the manual should help.

Thanks again, I will read up the user manual. I have found a PROFIBUS simulator on the HMS page that seems OK. The device is a PROFIBUS-DP/DPV1 simulator. Do you think this could be used to test my system with the PROFIBUS-DP Gateway ?? Of course this does not compare testing with an actual PLC.. thanks a Edited by arbj

You could choose to purchase this, however what is the difference in price for a simulator compared to a PLC with a Profibus facility? Maybe it's just as easy to just buy a PLC? However, it might be easier to debug the Profibus network with a simulator together with the software used for the chip.... I would, if the adapter isn't VERY cheap, just use/buy a PLC - then you'll have a test PLC at your office for later too....